Alternative Therapies Community
medical marijuana

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

medical marijuana

I am curious as to what everyone in here thinks about medical marijuana.  from what i have been able to find out, it is safer than regular pain meds on the major organs of the body, and i am considering trying it to get help with my pain issues and with the withdrawels i will have to go through to get off of what i am now taking.  i am not trying to get help to get hooked on any thing, just the opposite.  i want to get off of the addictive meds that my dr has put me on.
Do you live in a state that allows medical marajuana?  I do, and have a card.  But i found something out today, that most doctors or pain clinics will not give you pain meds if you test positive for medical marijuana.  I think that is totally wrong.  I got one because i have alot of back pain, and then i find this out.  Hell, we havent come very far in this country, if you have a card and the right to have some,,,,,and then get descriminated.  Any other views out there?
I think medicinal marijuana is a Godsend to a lot of people. I don't know if it would help with withdrawals or not (I'm not an addict, but I am a mother of one) but I think I would absolutely give it to my daughter to ease her withdrawals.

Also, on a side note, I don't think marijuana is addictive. In my younger years, I smoked it almost every day for nearly a decade. When I went for a new job where I was to be randomly screened for drug use, I stopped smoking it and had no cravings or withdrawals from it at all.  

And wannabfre? I think that's just ridiculous that if you have a legitimate prescription for marijuana and that prevents you from getting pain meds is ridiculous! Unless there is some really bad side effects if you use them together. But as far as I know, there aren't any.

I just don't understand why marijuana is so taboo..... It's a natural herb for crying out loud! It's not treated or mixed with anything or cut with other ingredients. It's plucked and dried and smoked. The end. And the end result pain relief mixed in with a case of the munchies accompanied by excessive giggling.
Hey, i couldnt agree more, i have watched shows on tv, (geographic channel) that show how its helped people that have taken so many pain meds that theyre liver is shot.   It does relieve my pain, and when im feeling nausea it helps me eat.  I think its a wonderful alternative to pain meds, but to have a doctor tell you, "if your a medical marijuana patient, we cant help you" is bull#$%^&. As long as you dont abuse it for recreation, its a good alternative, wake up people.  And i loved the part in your post about eating excessivly and giggling, made me smile.  God bless,  Any more input out there?
Whatever works.  Keep in mind that, because mj affects the way the brain processes information, in other words, it gets you high, it's more variable in how it affects people's pain than, say, opiates.  But whatever works, and it's one of the safest drugs out there.  It's not addictive, though anything can be habit-forming.  There is no physiological withdrawal, as there is with most pain meds.  But it can make some people nervous, makes others introverted, and others happy -- depends on how you're feeling as a person.  When it's good, it's great, and when it's not, you can just quit, which you can't say about other meds when they turn on you.  Also try to eat it -- smoking it, particularly wrapped in paper, might cause lung problems, though this is more theoretical than actually reported, but incomplete burning of anything can damage the lungs in theory.
It works for asthma.