Alternative Therapies Community
medicine

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

medicine

Just been prescribed Gabapentin for weakness in legs the mgs are 300. The side effects are making me feel miserable. I am dizzy and disoriented, upset stomach, pressure in head and so on. I want to know when it stops, only been on it for 3 days. I'm supposed to take 3x a day I barely can make it to the 2nd pill. If you have answers on this to make it better I sure would appeciate it.
Who prescribed this to you?  A primary care physician, or a specialist?  Gabapentin, which is basically GABA, a neurotransmitter responsible for relaxation.  It helps people with chronic pain, but not necessarily weakness, so I'm confused -- is there a diagnosis?  You give neurontin when pain can't be fixed.  As to side effects, one way to deal with this is to start slowly and build up rather than go whole hog right away.  This drug was recommended to me for anxiety, I haven't taken it, but if I do they're going to start at 100mg and see how it goes.  This is a safer way to start drugs that affect brain function.  There is also an update to this med, though it might not be available in a generic, called Lyrica.  This may be easier to tolerate for you if it is the right approach.