Alternative Therapies Community
my little one

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

my little one

Hi Doc....my 8 year old had her gall bladder removed in Feb 2012 - to date she suffers with chronic nausea...scan showed gallstone however when they went in there was no gallstone and said it was sludge...I am soooo angry. The nausea is a mess - she has missed so much school...I am seeing a homeopath now ...and he has stopped losec, nexiam, ulsanic....and we trying natural remedies...how long will she feel so un well? Regards Jackie
All of those in my family who suffered from gallbladder disease (and there are a few) were treated successfully without surgery. What was your doctor's  rationale for removing the gallbladder of an eight-year-old, with the possibility of its causing her a life-long problem? I am sorry for your little girl and furious for your sake.

Speak to your homeopath about giving her a couple of spoons of heavy cream every couple of hours (you can spike it with a little ice cream). This worked for us, as did small frequent meals. Sluggish digestion was treated with apple cider vinegar. This regimen was followed when we had our gallbladders (and still do) but I believe that the same symptoms often follow removal.

Another thought, and this may be far out. Two of us lost all symptoms of gallbladder disease when we were treated for hypothyroidism. In our cases the treatment was potassium iodide. A long shot - but ask about it.
Hey there.... Surgeon said her gallbladder was "sick"

Funny you mentioned Hypothyroidism as one of her blood tests came back a low parathyroid ? Is potassium Iodide a vitamin or??

Yea I am still furious cannot bear to see her suffer like this anymore...hey :(

thanks for your response
Lugol's solution is potassium iodide, an old-fashioned remedy. It is a form of iodine. For some people with symptoms of hypothyroidism it is curative.
I noticed you addressed this to Doc -- there are no doctors on this forum.  There are forums on this site where experts answer questions, but this site is just an open discussion site.  So there's that.  But you don't have a problem here with gallbladder illness; in this case the gallbladder is gone.  Natural medicine works with the whole body, but an important body part is gone here.  The gallbladder works with the liver to digest fats, but again, it's been removed.  Given the large number of people who have their gallbladders removed I have to believe there are special diets specifically for people who can't digest fats normally anymore so that, while digestion will never be "normal" again, your child can learn how to work with this.  It's tragic that this happened particularly since it appears it's malpractice, but we don't know the whole story of what the surgeon found once he got in there, but the course now is to research how people handle life without gallbladders.  I would suppose there are enzymes that help handle the digestion that can no longer take place normally.  I'm not sure homeopathy is the best course for this aspect; while they may help with nausea, homeopaths aren't nutritionists, which is what I think is important here -- how to eat missing part of the system that handles fats.  Good luck with your search and best of luck to your child.  
Thanks for the message x