Alternative Therapies Community
spirulina vs cholorphyll

WELCOME TO THE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Acupuncture, Aromatherapy, Biofeedback, Chelation Therapy, Chinese Medicine, Dance-Movement Therapy, Medical Marijuana, Feng Shui, Heliotherapy, Reflexology, Unani, Vitamin Therapy, and Yoga Therapy.

spirulina vs cholorphyll

ok, I am wanting to be lazy and see if anyone else has anything on this topic. Would it be beneficial to take both of these products or would it be like taking vit c tablet and ascorbic acid?

And, I have been taking the spirulina for 2 days, and have been feeling very sluggish. Could this be a detox reaction?

Thanks for the input and sharing the knowledge!

Peggy
ok. I got up and did some research and found out, as I suspected that spirulina does indeed cause a detox of sorts.
         Yeah, I tried spirulina a couple years ago. It caused diarrhea very quickly, so I stopped.
I used to be very sensitive to vitamin C too, but now I can take 2 grams without diarrhea, so I guess I need it!
I read that the diarrhea can be a detox symptom and will subside. If it becomes to bothersome to lower daily dosage and slowly increase back up.
While spirulina does help to leach heavy metals from the body, as do all algaes, it isn't the same as a liver or colon detox.  It's very effective, for example, in leaching radioactive material from the body, and was used as part of the protocol after Chernobyl.  There are many different parts of the body to detox.  The diarrhea I would think is more of a problem digesting it -- spirulina can be very hard to digest and needs to be taken with a lot of water to rehydrate it, as does any algae.  And like anything, best to start with a little to see how you react and then move up to your desired dosage.  As for the chlorophyll question, spirulina contains a ton of chlorophyll, but again, some people don't digest algae as well as others, or they digest it slowly, or they don't know how to properly take algae.  There would be no supplemental need to also take chlorophyll if one were taking any super green food, whether it be algae or grain grass, but if one were trying to build one's blood then it would be quicker to take the chlorophyll straight, as it would get straight into the system.  One of the benefits of algae such as spirulina is its slow digestion, that's why for those for whom it works it tends to give a long period of energy instead of a short one.  But we're all different in how well we digest things.  If one wanted to use one of these foods as a detox, wheat grass or barley grass would be better, but since all these super foods, including bee pollen which of course isn't a green food, have different properties and nutrient profiles, it's not a bad idea to alternate them rather than just take one all the time.  Some like to take products such as Greens + or Barleans product or many others on the market which contain many different super foods, but my own opinion is that the digestive system probably can't digest so many different foods at once.  Consider, for example, the different environments in the stomach -- spirulina has the highest quality of protein of just about any food, which would require an acidic environment, but it doesn't contain much protein, so the other nutrients can be absorbed.  Wheat grass, on the other hand, doesn't have that quality protein, so it would be digested differently, as would all those other foods they cram into those multiple foods products.  Kind of like trying to digest a 30 course meal.  Just my opinion.
Thanks for answering my question. I was thinking it might be overkill, but wanted to make sure.