Alzheimer's Disease Expert Forum
ALZ

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Alzheimer's Disease.

ALZ

hi dr thank you for your time .

my mothers moter had alz in her 80   my mother has it now shes in her 60. there are 4 of us daughters whats the chance we will have this to.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
The chances of  Alzheimer’s disease are more in people with a family history of the disease .Having a parent or sibling that developed Alzheimer’s disease makes a person  two to three times more prone to develop it  than those with no family history of Alzheimer’s. If more than one close relative has been affected, the risk increases even more.
Although age and family history are out of  a person’s control, several lifestyle factors can reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. Regular exercise and a healthy diet do help to reduce Alzheimer’s risk. Avoiding tobacco, alcohol , staying socially active, and engaging in intellectually stimulating activities  like crossword puzzles , reading have also been shown to have a protective effect against Alzheimer’s disease.
The people who are healthy overall have a good brain health. People who are free from heart disease or other systemic conditions are at a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s than those who have cardiovascular and other related problems . Please do adopt a healthy lifestyle to reduce the disease risk . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !
Check out the website 'luminosity' it has a lot of brain games and exercises, also you can check how you are doing ,I do these exercises regularly as I too have had a family connection , they are fun , and keep your Brain active,.I think in the future there will be drugs to help either prevent or change the outlook for those who are at risk for this disease. Good Luck
thank ya both for talking to me , its really scarey and am praying i dont get it. i take care of my mom so i have the fear everyday.