Alzheimer's Disease Community
Beginning of Alzheimers or something else?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Alzheimer Disease basics, Daycare Centers, Caregivers, Confusion, Decision Making (Poor), Diagnosis, Family Issues, Home Care, Identification Methods, Judgment (Poor), Living with Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, Nursing Home Care, Prevention, Treatment

I am truly frightened. This suddenly came on today!  My mother can not remember anything about today. She does not remember she voted, she does not remember what she ate today, nothing?? She doesn't remember she is going on a trip to see me? I am so scared. She has had this happen before, 2 years ago, but she was totally fine the next day. Her mother had Alzheimers, so we are all scared to death and need some answers. What is our next step?? I am soo scared because I already saw my grandmother go through Alzheimers and I am hoping my mother does not have the same. Please help me, ANYBODY? I can't stop crying......
I think the next step is getting your mom in to see her doctor. If you live a ways away and can't go with her to the doctor's appointment, I would call her doctor before she goes in for the appointment and tell him/her what happened that day. You probably will not be able to have a two-way conversation about your mom with the doctor or nurse (meaning, to ask questions about her condition or care) unless she has signed a release of information form because of strict medical privacy laws---BUT you are still allowed to call and tell them your concerns. This can be frustrating, I know....

What I have done in the past about both of my parents' health problems is called the doctor's office, asked for their FAX number, and then faxed a short note to the doctor's attention. I briefly state my concerns, what's happened, what we've observed, etc. I always thank them for their time and attention and for caring for my parent and give them my name and phone number in case they want/need to reach me. This has worked pretty well over the last 5-10 years.

I can understand your concerns about your mother, given your grandmother. I'm saying a prayer for you and your mother.

My father was diagnosed with probable dementia this year--It's a very hard situation and hard to imagine if you've not had a loved one go through it before. My heart goes out to you. Please let us know how things go.

Take care,
Yvette
It is odd the sudden onset.  While I know this can happen there are usually signs of the confusion before where they were masking the problem.  I would go to the doctor and have some labs done.  A UTI (urinary tract infection) can cause increase confusion and balance issues for people in the older years (75+).

Good luck

Josh
With such a sudden onset, it does not sound like alzheimers or other forms of dementia.  I would definitely get her checked out as it may be something totally unrelated to the brain.  Many infections have that type of confusion effects, or side effect to a medication or something else environmental.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Isn't the chance of heredity just 6%? It is probably infection as others have mentioned, since it came and passed 2 years ago.