Bipolar linked to Dementia and Alzheimer Disease?
I have Bipolar I Disorder.  I posted a question in my community (BP) about BP getting worse with age.  My delima is that my family has a history of both dementia and Alzheimer Disease on each side of my family.  With bipolar, I have been told, that left untreated, it can lead to dementia in patients.  Of course, now, I am being treated, and that's a very good thing.

Do you know if Dementia and Alzheimer's is inherited?  Does anyone know of someone that had bipolar and it went into dementia?  I struggle with these questions and have gotten some really good responses in the BP community and know that kindling is a condition of untreated bipolar, but wanted a perspective from the Alzheimer community.

Racheal
You know I havent heard there is a connection but I will google it and see what I come up with , and post here, It is an interesting question.
Thank you!  I know that bipolar has a genetic link, and without a doubt, my father had an undiagnosed case, as well as, my paternal grandmother.  I have heard that Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia are also genetic.  

It's pretty scary to me at 40 to think I might be like my grandmother and start the downhill slope in 10 years.   Luckily, I have gotten the treatment I need for the BP, so it might not happen that soon!  BUT, it might!  SCARY!

Thanks so much!  
I havent come up with any facts that there is a connection, and I agree it is pretty scary, I do know that at this very moment they have found a new Med and they are testing it at Aberdeen University in the UK, it is supposed to reverse Altzheimers,it is called Remba"' they are going into the 3 year of testing and it should be on the market as a prescribed drug in 2 years, so there is hope out there .Put Remba into your search engine and see what they say ,I have a relative who is afflicted and I have been doing a lot of research to help him.Good luck let us know how you are doing
I will google that.  I haven't heard of that.  It's pretty scary to me.  I can remember my Grandmother who most of my family say and have said for years, I am a "clone" of  - being eccentric.  I truly believe that she had BP - like me, and later in years, she had a severe case of Alzheimer's and was just in misery her last years.  I am comforted some by the fact that she wasn't diagnosed - and I was - so maybe the damage can be corrected.  Time will tell.

Thanks so much.   Does your relative have Alzheimer's or BP?