Alzheimer's Disease Community
Bipolar linked to Dementia and Alzheimer Disease?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Alzheimer Disease basics, Daycare Centers, Caregivers, Confusion, Decision Making (Poor), Diagnosis, Family Issues, Home Care, Identification Methods, Judgment (Poor), Living with Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, Nursing Home Care, Prevention, Treatment

I have Bipolar I Disorder.  I posted a question in my community (BP) about BP getting worse with age.  My delima is that my family has a history of both dementia and Alzheimer Disease on each side of my family.  With bipolar, I have been told, that left untreated, it can lead to dementia in patients.  Of course, now, I am being treated, and that's a very good thing.

Do you know if Dementia and Alzheimer's is inherited?  Does anyone know of someone that had bipolar and it went into dementia?  I struggle with these questions and have gotten some really good responses in the BP community and know that kindling is a condition of untreated bipolar, but wanted a perspective from the Alzheimer community.

Racheal
You know I havent heard there is a connection but I will google it and see what I come up with , and post here, It is an interesting question.
Thank you!  I know that bipolar has a genetic link, and without a doubt, my father had an undiagnosed case, as well as, my paternal grandmother.  I have heard that Alzheimer's Disease and Dementia are also genetic.  

It's pretty scary to me at 40 to think I might be like my grandmother and start the downhill slope in 10 years.   Luckily, I have gotten the treatment I need for the BP, so it might not happen that soon!  BUT, it might!  SCARY!

Thanks so much!  
I havent come up with any facts that there is a connection, and I agree it is pretty scary, I do know that at this very moment they have found a new Med and they are testing it at Aberdeen University in the UK, it is supposed to reverse Altzheimers,it is called Remba"' they are going into the 3 year of testing and it should be on the market as a prescribed drug in 2 years, so there is hope out there .Put Remba into your search engine and see what they say ,I have a relative who is afflicted and I have been doing a lot of research to help him.Good luck let us know how you are doing
I will google that.  I haven't heard of that.  It's pretty scary to me.  I can remember my Grandmother who most of my family say and have said for years, I am a "clone" of  - being eccentric.  I truly believe that she had BP - like me, and later in years, she had a severe case of Alzheimer's and was just in misery her last years.  I am comforted some by the fact that she wasn't diagnosed - and I was - so maybe the damage can be corrected.  Time will tell.

Thanks so much.   Does your relative have Alzheimer's or BP?