Alzheimer's Disease Expert Forum
Gene for Alzeheimer's

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Alzheimer's Disease.

Gene for Alzeheimer's

I have heard that there is a gene that can tell you if you have a probility for Alzheimer's. Has anyone heard anything about this? Please respond.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Some cases of early-onset AD, called familial AD (FAD), are inherited. FAD is caused by a number of different gene mutations on chromosomes 21, 14, and 1, and each of these mutations causes abnormal proteins to be formed. Even if only one of these mutated genes is inherited from a parent, the person will almost always develop early-onset AD. This inheritance pattern is referred to as “autosomal dominant” inheritance. In other words, offspring in the same generation have a 50/50 chance of developing FAD if one of their parents had it.
Most cases of Alzheimer’s are of the late-onset form, developing after age 60. Scientists studying the genetics of AD have found that the mutations seen in early-onset AD are not involved in this form of the disease. Although a specific gene has not been identified as the cause of late-onset AD, one predisposing genetic risk factor does appear to increase a person’s risk of developing the disease. This increased risk is related to the apolipoprotein E (APOE) gene found on chromosome 19. APOE contains the instructions needed to make a protein that helps carry cholesterol in the bloodstream. APOE comes in several different forms, or alleles . One of the tests is - NEURAL THREAD PROTEIN GENE EXPRESSION IN  DETECTION OF ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE. Please consult a gene specialist for the testing . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !

Thanks so much for the info. Would these chromosomes you spoke of be evident when we were typed to see if we were compatible as a bone marrow donor for our son? Both my parents died at early age of MI. One side of family is said to "go crazy" as they aged. I suppose this might have been Alzheimer's? Again, thanks for the info. I seek a MD that deals especially with genetics at Emory in Atlanta, Ga.. We made friends while child was a patient. Take care and regards to you also!

Madlyn