Alzheimer's Disease Expert Forum
Inability to urinate or have bowel movements. Alzheimers vs affects of ...

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Alzheimer's Disease.

Inability to urinate or have bowel movements. Alzheimers vs affects of TIA's

Our mother started not urinating. She also was constipated.  After being hospitalized twice and getting the run around I finally got them to address the real problem ( urinary issues)  They got her in with a Urologist he told us that Mom's bladdar is basically dead and does not function like it should. It wont squeeze. Same with bowels. He said urine just sits there and collects because she is bedridden and just lays there.  The cathiter would make it come out for the most part. There is now sand/crystals or substance making blockages because of this backing up of urine.
I just want to know if this is a common thing with Alzheimers patients.
She has history of Type 2 diabetes as well.  Several TIA's and when the bladdar was so full and she was unable to do a BM or Pee she suffered another TIA last month.
The Urologist thinks that the stroke caused this problem but it was starting before the TIA we know about. I want to know if this is a common problem for dementia people?  
P.s please dont feel I don't appreciate a response. It may take a while for me to get time to read and respond. Have alot going on w/her and still raising two young kids. In advance thanks to anyone willing to respond.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I can understand that you are going through a tough time.
The bowel and bladder problems that your mother is facing may be caused by a number of factors. The control over bowel and bladder movements is lost in advanced stages of Alzheimer’s disease. Fecal incontinence almost always results from organic dementia and confusion disorders.
Kidney damage or kidney failure results from type 2 diabetes. The kidneys contain millions of small blood vessel groups that filter waste from our blood. Diabetes can damage this sensitive and delicate filtering system. Severe damage to the filtering system  can lead to kidney failure or irreversible and incurable end-stage kidney disease. The kidney function is completely lost and requires dialysis or a kidney transplant. Diabetes is considered as the most common cause of kidney failure.
Difficulties with bowel or bladder control may also be caused by a number of different problems that result from stroke.
Constipation is a common problem in bedridden or debilitated patients because of an improper diet. Lack of dietary fiber causes constipation. Since a bedridden patient cannot take the required fiber because he or she is mostly on fluids or I.V. drip, it causes constipation.
You have mentioned that the problems started before TIA so they can be attributed to Alzheimer’s disease and Diabetes.
Please consult a physician and urologist for the treatment. Constipation may be treated with the help of laxatives and stool softeners. Kidney problem requires detailed investigations. Please consult a urologist to check for the kidney function and management. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!  
i think we should see a second Urologist. The first one did not want to try to examine her in his office. Said it would be hard to move her from her wheel chair to his chair. He didn't see much point. He said that we could put her thru a procedure or surgery to remove blockages and then she would be put thru pain.  He felt it was the kinder thing to just leave her be in her particular case and just allow things to take their "natural course"
He said Kidney damage /failure would eventually result in her just going in her sleep.
We  have been trying to reach him all week to get him to explain all of this again, because I want to make sure I understood him correctly. I think I have most of what he said correctly. I became very upset and it was hard  to grasp all of the information. Once he said it was a far kinder way for her to go....I sort of have fuzzy parts. But he has yet  to return our request to speak with him.
The doctor who sees her at home suggested we see another Specialist he didn't care for what we were told.but said if two of them say the same thing then fine. He was surprised he wouldn't try to put her on his table and examine her. His feelings were all based on notes from recent hospitalization, CT scan etc.

Thanks for your great and very informative post!
A related discussion, urine retention / catheter and no bowel movements was started.