Lack of sleep
My nanny is 86 and has had the disease for several years.  She is now hallucinating often.  She hardly ever sleeps.  The drs have her on klonopin and Ativan but nothing helps her sleep.  She has slept two hours in 50.  Is this normal?   Should we try sleeping meds without the drs prescribing it?
You may have to consult a geriatric psychiatric specialist. I know with my Mother in Law, we ended up having to admit her to get a set of medications to work. She had reversed day and night and kept forgetting that she went to the bathroom and wanted to go constantly.

In older people, medications can work differently so I would contact the doctor and see if you can get a specialist to advise the doctor to prescribe a new set to try at home or to admit her for a short period to get a set of meds so she can sleep and be calmer.

I would not try OTC items without talking to a pharmacist about her current medications. Even herbs and all can have unintended effects so best to check it out.
plz talk to her dr, she needs something to help her sleep as i know she does not want to be that way either.

my mom had nights where she would not sleep they put her on meds and she started sleeping all night. so yes plz get a hold of her dr and tell them she needs something to sleep i am sure they will give her something .
my mom was also on the klonopin and ativan, after awahile they get use to it, its not a sleep med, she can still take it along with a pill that will help her sleep. and no i would not give her otc meds they might not mix with her meds she takes now.
Hi Michellejo.

I apologize for not responding earlier.
If you want to send me a list of her meds, I can check it out and give you some recommendations, for safe alternatives to be considered, after consulting with her doctor (who may not be up with natural alternatives but should look into them,as, he may not want to appear script-happy and "anti-natural").

Rumpled's suggestion is great, however, geriatric psychiatric specialists,
are notoriously difficult to get and in this case, time is of great importance!

Niko

.
just checking in to see if her sleeping has gotton any better