Alzheimer's Disease Community
Low Dose of Risperdal - Benefits and Consequences for Elderly Alzheimer...

This forum is for questions and support regarding Alzheimer Disease basics, Daycare Centers, Caregivers, Confusion, Decision Making (Poor), Diagnosis, Family Issues, Home Care, Identification Methods, Judgment (Poor), Living with Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, Nursing Home Care, Prevention, Treatment

Low Dose of Risperdal - Benefits and Consequences for Elderly Alzheimer Patient

My elderly mother has Alzheimer's Disease, she is 87, and recently developed elevated Liver Enzymes. Her geriatrician stopped all her meds including those for Alzheimers to stabilize her liver. Once her Liver stabilized, the doctor introduced Risperdal stating that it is less liver antagonistic.

I have read much about Risperdal being fatal to the  elderly but I have also read that given in low doses it is quite effective. My mother is currently in the hospital now for a week, and the Psychiatrist has increased the dose to 2 mg a day. He tells me that this is a low dose but I keep obsessing over the mortality issue. Aside from the Dementia, my mother is in decent health except for COPD, and does not require oxygen.

Could someone shed some light on this subject, and the dosage, as it has created much anxiety for me despite her beginning to positively respond.
Risperdal is a blacklisted drug and use in the elderly is contraindicated. Several years ago the geriatrics department of Johns Hopkins conducted a special seminar at Mount Sinai geriatrics center in New York specifically warning physicians of the dangers of respirdal and the inappropriateness of administration in the elderly. There are physicians who disagree with this conclusion and continue to prescribe the medication.
Thanks for the reply.

The reality of the situation that I am finding in my particular instance, or that of  my mother is that any of the anti-psychotic medications used to treat the behavioral issues of an Alzheimer's patient carry 'black-box" warnings. The result a Catch-22 of how do you control the behavior, provide a quality of life, and minimize the risk.