Alzheimer's Disease Community
Meds for short-term memory loss

This forum is for questions and support regarding Alzheimer Disease basics, Daycare Centers, Caregivers, Confusion, Decision Making (Poor), Diagnosis, Family Issues, Home Care, Identification Methods, Judgment (Poor), Living with Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, Nursing Home Care, Prevention, Treatment

Meds for short-term memory loss

My mom and I are concerned about my 74 year-old father.  He has been experiencing short-term memory loss for the past 3 years.  This spring, my mom took him to the doctor for a series of tests.  They conducted an MRI to check for tumors or a possible stroke.  They also conducted an initial screening for Alzheimers and dementia.  Everything came back clear.  The doctors agreed that there is some short-term memory loss but not enough to warrant medication.

A typical example of the type of memory loss he is experiencing includes the following:
My husband, daughter and I recently met up with my mom and dad for a vacation in Florida.  We flew in and rented a car for the trip.  My father asked at least once a day if we liked our new car.  We patiently told him we did not buy the car - it was a rental.  It seems like new information doesn't get filed away correctly in his memory bank and, like a broken record, he keeps repeating his thoughts.

My mom and I are wondering the following: 1) if there are any medications my father could be taking to help improve his memory, and 2) whether his current combination of medication may be affecting his memory.  He is currently on zocor (20ml/day) for cholesterol, methotrixate and folic acid for psoriasis, and takes a 81 mg aspirin per day to help thin his blood.  He had a pacemaker installed in 1993 (updated in 2002).

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what we might explore with the doctors would be helpful. Thank you.
Ask you Doctor if the meds or the combination of them could cause the memory loss I do know some meds do cause it and once they are stopped or changed the memory gets better, you could run your own test by leaving them off for a few days, ask your Doctor first, you can also google for your self if the Med particularly Zocor can make him have memory loss.ASk first /