Alzheimer's Disease Community
Okinawa and disease progression

This forum is for questions and support regarding Alzheimer Disease basics, Daycare Centers, Caregivers, Confusion, Decision Making (Poor), Diagnosis, Family Issues, Home Care, Identification Methods, Judgment (Poor), Living with Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, Nursing Home Care, Prevention, Treatment

Okinawa and disease progression

My memory has started a big fade, so I am interested in any therapies. Especially frightening are the number of short term issues that occur daily. I am undiagnosed, but intend to see my doc soon.

I have started reading about Okinawa Island where no one gets Alzheimers unless they adopt a lifestyle (or diet) that is not traditional to their island. That seems proof that there is more to their lifestyle preventing Alzheimers than can occur purely from just good genes. Specifically, I am looking for information to determine if there is any benefit for me in adopting their lifestyle and diet if the disease has started?
  • NEW DRUG??? (9 replies):
    Today i heard about the drug Remba, which sounds like a ...[more]
  • Remba (12 replies):
    Want to be cheered up , google Remba, it is being tested...[more]
I have lived with a big memory problem since I was 20, but it only slowly increased until the last year or so.
You know I read of this also ans some say it is the calcium in the coral there we can get it here now, I took it for quite a while then was getting side effects , that may have been from it , but I have never really known..Have you had any kind of evaluation ,been to the Doctor ? What age group do you fall into,there are trials going on at the moment , I dont know where you live I know there is a trial in LA .  
I live in Calgary. Transition Therapeutics has a promising drug that actually regrows the brain in mice, and may elect early to go into a Phase 3 trial next year, if they get start to get encouraging results from a P2 trial that is scheduled to take a year or so to conclude. It will be the only drug that repairs, should it work.
It is very early stage though, so don't get your hopes too high since there has been bad news in testing of other potential Alzheimer treatment drugs recently.
That is interesting information, I know there is also a drug called Rember in its 3rd year of testing at Aberdeen University , possibly the same drug? I have a family member I am hoping to be able to get onto a trial if one comes this way .
No, it is a different drug. You can google the company and review their site.
okay I will, it could be useful to tell others about,. thanks
I see they just filed today with the Securities Commission that they will raise $75 million, so it is possible that they have some good results in Phase 2 and plan to go into a Phase 3 trial. Phase 3 is super expensive.
The stock analyst said last month that they might jump into a Phase 3 trial before Phase 2 was completed if the interim P2 results were promising, so let's hope that is what happened. I do not own any shares and am just taking a guess about what they will be doing with the $75 M.
Even if it works though, it won't work for all. Just look at all the antidepressants that exist because there is no drug that can work for all.