Alzheimer's Disease Community
a little reading on alz

This forum is for questions and support regarding Alzheimer Disease basics, Daycare Centers, Caregivers, Confusion, Decision Making (Poor), Diagnosis, Family Issues, Home Care, Identification Methods, Judgment (Poor), Living with Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, Nursing Home Care, Prevention, Treatment

a little reading on alz

How do you know if it is mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease? As people get older it's common for them to forget things. But at what point is misplacing your car keys considered old age or something worse? Old age can often result in memory loss, whereas mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease can cause loss of cognition, which includes things like memory, understanding, communication, and reasoning.

Mild to moderate Alzheimer's Disease Symptoms. Here is a checklist of common symptoms to help recognize the warning signs of mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease:

Memory Loss and Mild to Moderate Alzheimer's Disease

Forgetting recently learned information is one of the most common early signs of mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease. A person begins to forget more often and is unable to recall the information later.

What's Normal Aging? Forgetting names or appointments occasionally.

Difficulty Performing Familiar Tasks Because It Could Be Mild to Moderate Alzheimer's Disease

People with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease often find it hard to plan or complete everyday tasks. Individuals may lose track of the steps needed to prepare a meal, place a telephone call, or play a game.

What's Normal Aging? Occasionally forgetting why you came into a room or what you planned to say.

Problems with Language May Be a Sign of Mild to Moderate Alzheimer's Disease

People with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease often forget simple words or substitute unusual words, making their speech or writing hard to understand. They may not be able to find the toothbrush, for example, and instead ask for "that thing for my mouth."

What's Normal Aging? Sometimes having trouble finding the right word.

Disorientation to Time and Place Due to Mild to Moderate Alzheimer's Disease

People with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease can become lost in their own neighborhoods, forget where they are and how they got there, and not know how to get back home.

What's Normal Aging? Forgetting the day of the week or where you were going.

Poor or Decreased Judgment Due to Mild to Moderate Alzheimer's Disease

Those with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease may dress inappropriately, wearing several layers on a warm day, or little clothing in the cold. They may show poor judgment about money, like giving away large sums to telemarketers.

What's Normal Aging? Making a questionable or debatable decision from time to time.

Problems with Abstract Thinking–Is It Mild to Moderate Alzheimer's Disease?

Someone with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease may have unusual difficulty performing complex mental tasks, like forgetting what numbers are and how they should be used.

What's Normal Aging? Finding it challenging to balance a checkbook.

Misplacing Things–a Sign of Mild to Moderate Alzheimer's Disease

A person with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease may put things in unusual places: an iron might go in the freezer or a wristwatch in the sugar bowl.

What's Normal Aging? Misplacing keys or a wallet temporarily.

Changes in Mood or Behavior in Mild to Moderate Alzheimer's Disease Patients

Someone with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease may show rapid mood swings – from calm to tears to anger – for no apparent reason.

What's Normal Aging? Occasionally feeling sad or moody.

Changes in Personality Due to Mild to Moderate Alzheimer's Disease

The personalities of people with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease can change dramatically. They may become extremely confused, suspicious, fearful, or dependent on a family member.

What's Normal Aging? People's personalities do change somewhat with age.

Loss of Initiative Due to Mild to Moderate Alzheimer's Disease

A person with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease may become very passive, sitting in front of the TV for hours, sleeping more than usual, or not wanting to do usual activities.

What's Normal Aging? Sometimes feeling weary of work or social obligations
not sure what the question is here.  my mom had alzheimers.   you can call the local organization for more info.  when my mom got to the 3rd stage she forgot who people were.  she did not know who I was most of the time.  she went kind of back to being a child.  she would pinch me shove me,  I knew this was not her.  she tried to cook while I was asleep and caught a hand towel on fire I tnrew it Into the sink and turned water on it.  I removed the knobs on the stove.  she ws not happy about tthat but she and I were safer.  it does get worse.  mandy876