Alzheimer's Disease Community
?alzheimers

This forum is for questions and support regarding Alzheimer Disease basics, Daycare Centers, Caregivers, Confusion, Decision Making (Poor), Diagnosis, Family Issues, Home Care, Identification Methods, Judgment (Poor), Living with Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, Nursing Home Care, Prevention, Treatment

?alzheimers

I have been caring for my 85 yr old grandfather since July, when he was released from a nursing home. He was fine in april (driving, playing golf, going out, etc..) he was diagnosed with a uti and since was put in a nursing home and was in and out of hosp till July.  He began to show improvement and the family decided to take care of him.  Within a few weeks of being home he was walking again on his own and able to take care of himself(for the most part).  He then had a seizure, from his Dilantin level being too low and while in the hosp they did an mri and said he had evidence of an old stroke but nothing recent.  He was released and very slowly began losing motor skills with his hands and legs.  Within the past few weeks he has become very confused, unable to walk without falling and doing small tasks, such as hanging up the phone or trying to pull his pants down to use the bathroom.  He has fallen alot and trying to eat is very hard for him.  He cant pick up the food and get his hand to his mouth.  Seeing this happen has been very upsetting and I cant find the right answer.  It sounds like a litlle bit of a stroke (even though the mri says no), alheimers and/or dementia.  i was hoping i could get another idea.  please help??    
  • Update (3 replies):
    My grandpa is Charlie, and my name is Emily. Its been ab...[more]
I have been online searching for stuff of effects you have after a stroke.  I come from a fairly large extended family there are 10 cousins and we are all very close with each other.  Up until last night i had no idea what was going on. My dad was on the phone with his mom asking her if she was watching hockey but she was not answering and she only answered the phone hello and good you then mumbled something.  She can't seem to communicate with my grandpa and she won't talk beyond hello.  If you write something on paper she looks but doesn't say anything.  When you talk to her she looks at you with a blank stare. She fell down didn't get up for three hours and my grandpa was trying to get her up and all of a sudden she does it and sits back on the wall.   Prior she was saying that her foot hurt her a lot. What we thought was a stroke could it be late Alzheimer's??
~sec
Sorry to hear, Any medications being administered?
wow sorry to hear ya going threw this. it really does not sound like alz to m sounds like mini strokes

alz comes on slow and gets worse,  my mom started out repeating her self telling the same story, asking the same question over and over , than as a few years went by she could no longe remember where she put things and how to do things.  it just got worse. i do know uti are very hard on older folks, mom would fall down, get mean. so always have that checked.

please  keep in touch we are here to talk .Heart