Alzheimer's Disease Community
eating and drinking
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Alzheimer Disease basics, Daycare Centers, Caregivers, Confusion, Decision Making (Poor), Diagnosis, Family Issues, Home Care, Identification Methods, Judgment (Poor), Living with Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, Nursing Home Care, Prevention, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

eating and drinking

My Mother has  Alzheimer's disease she is not eating or drinking very well. She has been ill since 2001, we are struggling with the idea of a feeding tube afraid she will starve.  Can anyone offer with advice on this.    Thanks
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Try getting her doctor to prescribe megace it is a liquid stuff they can give her to take to cause her to feel hungry it doesn't have bad side effects Try it and also try offering her foods that she really likes             joyce559
Blank
637356_tn?1301928422
Please explain more, how is she having a hard time? Is she refusing to eat or has she lost the ability to chew and swallow?

My grandfather blames his teeth on why he won't eat a certain food. We have found ways into "fooling" him into eating. We also try to fix things we know he likes and can eat without any problems.
Blank
How has she been eating what she has had thus far without starving?  Are they monitoring her weight and other changes?  I wonder also along with Lonelymom, how is your Mother having a hard time---is she choking (aspirating) when eating or drinking?  How far is she in the Alzheimer's?  Is hospice involved?  Were her wishes known before she got worse as far as prolonging her life?  There are many unknowns here.

Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Alzheimer's Disease Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...