Alzheimer's Disease Expert Forum
grandpa just diagnosed

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Alzheimer's Disease.

grandpa just diagnosed

my grandpa has recently been diagnosed with  alzheimers , i wanna say with in the last year. last week he thought he was at work talking to my dad ( who was NOT there)...i mean he told us the whole conversation that he "had with my dad at the shop"... he still knows how we are, if he doesnt he is good at putting on a smile and giving kisses. i feel so bad and im scared to see whats going to happen. i dont want him to forget who his kids, grandkids and wife are. its really sad and everytime i see him im getting the stories that he is getting worse. why do we have to get old and forget our loved ones??.... why cant we just die happy with ALL of our wonderful memories??..... why does this happen?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi, It's me Dr. Rajgopal . I had answered the question with a different Id earlier . Regards !
Welcome to the forum ! I am sorry to know the state of your grandfather . Some common early symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease include confusion, disturbances in short-term memory, problems with attention and spatial orientation, changes in personality, language difficulties and unexplained mood swings.  The disease occurs due  to the deterioration of brain cells.Please consult a neurologist for a treatment plan to help slow the disease . One can also slow the rate of illness progression, thereby preserving quality of life and independence. Vitamin E  slows the progress of some consequences of Alzheimer’s for about 7 months. In addition to the pharmaceutical approaches, conservation methods also can be beneficial to the management of Alzheimer's disease, such as: eating a proper diet ,getting daily exercise ,continuing intellectual stimulation and social contact ,implementing memory aids, such as a prominent calendar, lists of daily tasks and labels on frequently used items that can help compensate for memory loss and confusion ,providing a comfortable and stimulating environment and always trying to give simple and easy to understand instructions and  participating in support groups . Please follow these guidelines and I hope that the progression of the disease will be delayed . Hope this helps you . Take care and regards !
thanks for you knowledge.....