Alzheimer's Disease Expert Forum
hydrocephalus

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Alzheimer's Disease.

hydrocephalus

I went to the ER at the beginning of the month because I have had swelling around my eyes since June 23. My eyes twitch and they are perfect circles currounding my eyes. I had a new dr. and she thought maybe it was allergies. but I feel pressure behind my eyes and feel like I cant open them all the way and that it hurts to look up and down, side to side, I also have what feels like musle pain in my upper mid back. I had a head CT that said I had enlarged ventricles and sulci for patients age. and the impression was advanced involuntionary changes for patients age. My dr. did not seem to think anything of this as I have heard nothing from her. and after the initial test the ER doctor had told me my head ct was normal. I got a copy a few days later and this is what it said. I read alot at work and have to focus alot and Im finding it hard to absorb what Im reading alomg with increased pressure "behind" my eyes. I have no idea the extent of the findings as I have just ordered the actual CT picture and am planning on getting a secon opinion. I have no history of brain injury and certainly not brain damage. Ive always been far above average and no problems with concentration and Im finding it incredibally strange that the swelling surroundning my eyes just is not going away. the only labs that were abnormal showed I was slightly anemic low RBC and high MCV and had a slightly high albumin and easinophil levels. is it possible that this is hydrocephalus? Im 33. previously absolutly no medical history except healthy childbirth 2004. I eat healthy and exercise. do not drink, or anything like that.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Cjo,

Welcome to the forum! There are many causes of swelling around the eyes. They are- Mononucleosis, Hormonal problems, Excess salt intake, Allergies, Hypothyroidism and Periorbital cellulitis. The causes of pressure behind the eyes are sinusitis, high blood pressure and Periorbital cellulitis. Since you have the symptoms of swelling around the eyes and increased pressure behind the eyes, the most probable cause could be Periorbital Cellulitis associated with allergy.
Periorbital Cellulitis is a bacterial infection of the tissues surrounding the eyes. If left untreated or not treated properly, the infection may spread behind the eyeball and result in Orbital Cellulitis. It is a more serious and life threatening condition and requires immediate administration of antibiotics intravenously. You need to consult an eye specialist immediately for the examination, investigations and confirmation of diagnosis. Please start antibiotic treatment as suggested by the specialist.
As far as your other investigation results are concerned, you already know that you are anemic. The high MCV also supports it. Causes of high MCV are pernicious anemia or hemolytic anemia.
High albumin is almost always caused by dehydration. Elevated Eosinophil levels suggest allergies and inflammation. As there is inflammation and swelling around the eyes caused by Periorbital cellulitis thus the eosinophil levels are raised.  
Your symptoms do not support Hydrocephalus as a cause. Hydrocephalus is associated with  headache, vomiting, nausea, swelling of the optic nerve, blurred or double vision, balance problems, poor coordination, altered gait, urinary incontinence, lethargy, drowsiness, irritability or personality changes and sometimes memory loss. Please consult an eye specialist for the management. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!    
Was reading your post, but dodn't understand what you said the CT scain read when you got the report. . Praying that someone can determine what is causing your prob;em and will be able to fi/treat.

Madlyn
A related discussion, Eye swelling, pain was started.