Alzheimer's Disease Expert Forum
loss of volume in back part of brain

This Ask-a-Doctor forum is for questions and information regarding Alzheimer's Disease.

loss of volume in back part of brain

I recently had a ct scan on my brain because I was having some dizzy spells and the report stated that I had some volume loss in back part of brain. What are the implications?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
There are many causes of loss of brain volume. One of them is Alzheimer’s disease. Another common cause is Cushing’s syndrome. Cushing’s syndrome (CS) results from the chronic exposure to supraphysiological levels of glucocorticoids and other steroids, which often produce neuropsychological and emotional modifications in affected patients. Other causes of brain volume loss are- Vitamin B12 deficiency, Stroke, Malnutrition, Abnormal hormonal changes,  Huntington’s disease, Multiple sclerosis, Infectious diseases of the brain and many other causes. The consequences of the condition are- dementia, seizures, and a group of language disorders called the aphasias.
Dementia is manifested by a progressive impairment of memory and intellectual function that interferes with social and work skills in its severe form. Orientation, Memory( both short and long term), abstraction, learning ability, environmental perception, and  managing abilities like planning, organizing, and sequencing may also be impaired.
Seizures may present in different forms, mostly experienced as disorientation, repetitive movements, convulsions or loss of consciousness.
Aphasias are known as a group of disorders characterized by disturbances in speaking and understanding language. Aphasias are of two types- Receptive and Expressive aphasias. Receptive aphasia causes impaired understanding and comprehension. Expressive aphasia is reflected by odd choices of words, the use of partial phrases, disjointed clauses, and incomplete sentences.
There is no definite cure of the condition. An excellent diet rich in fruits, vegetables, fish, dairy products and nuts that are a rich source of  multivitamins, multiminerals, protein and Omega 3 fatty acids do help in preventing the progression of the condition. Mental and intellectual activities like solving crossword puzzles, participating in group activities and socializing also help in  delaying the progression. Please adopt a good lifestyle to prevent the disease progression. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!  

1 Comment
A related discussion, .. was started.