Alzheimer's Disease Community
sleep apnea and alzheimers
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Alzheimer Disease basics, Daycare Centers, Caregivers, Confusion, Decision Making (Poor), Diagnosis, Family Issues, Home Care, Identification Methods, Judgment (Poor), Living with Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, Nursing Home Care, Prevention, Treatment

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

sleep apnea and alzheimers

I once heard there may be a link to between sleep apnea and alzheimers.  Is there any information supporting this or just a rumor.  
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
212161_tn?1391090750
hi, you know i am not really sure . i will research this and see what i can find.  I do know my mom had alz and she would sleep just find, got plenty of it even before she had it so with her i would say NO.

will see what others think on my search. hope you have a great sunday
Blank
1530171_tn?1362547225
Hey stangecindy.

Sleep apnea dx is unfortunately open to debate, due to variability of  the symptoms, making the link to alzheimer's disease a bit of a challenge.

We know that sleep apnea is characterized by low oxygen supply, which could be a co-factor, however the link has not been established scientifically, as there are no large enough studies regarding this particular area of research.

The few smaller studies, show that there's a prevalence of sleep apnea in
mainly female elderly subjects, diagnosed with dementia and with probable
Alzheimer's disease.
PMID: 4008448

So not a rumour to my opinion, but more like anecdotal evidence from small studies.

heartfluttersflyawayplz: Many patients don't even know that they suffer from sleep apnea, as the symptoms may not be so evident or significant.
A 10 second pause in the breathing or very low breathing per every 5 minutes on average(which is the minimum established standard for sleep apnea) is perhaps a little difficult to notice. That's why an overnight sleep study is necessary
( the most important diagnostic criteria is a positive polysomnogram/sleep study).
Sleep apnea runs in my family.

Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Niko
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Alzheimer's Disease Community Resources