Alzheimer's Disease Community
what are the chances

This forum is for questions and support regarding Alzheimer Disease basics, Daycare Centers, Caregivers, Confusion, Decision Making (Poor), Diagnosis, Family Issues, Home Care, Identification Methods, Judgment (Poor), Living with Alzheimer’s, Memory Loss, Nursing Home Care, Prevention, Treatment

what are the chances

hi, Dr. could you plz tell me what the precent is of getting the alz/demitia, if your mother got it at 65 and her mother had it in her 80's and what can i do to help slow it down. thank you for taking your time to help us out. Barbara

there are 4 daughters what are chances we all get it ?
Hey Barbara!

Well, since both the mother and the grandmother got the disease beyond 65 years of age, these are likely to be sporadic cases (with little genetics involved), as is seen in a majority of cases with the disease. It’s only minority of cases (less than 1%) that are believed to be genetically linked. These usually present before 65 years of age. Environmental more than the genetic factors are believed to have a major role in the development of the disease.
              Though none of these have been proved yet, factors that may be involved in an early development of disease are hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, diabetes, smoking, excessive exposure to environmental pollution, electromagnetic waves etc. Adequate control of the factors may play a role in preventing or in delaying the onset of the disease.
                  Other factors that may be beneficial in preventing or delaying the onset of the disease include are a higher level of education, keeping the brain regularly involved, such as in activities like reading, solving puzzles, calculation, music, art etc., dietary aspects like following a ‘mediterranean diet’ (red wine, with plenty of fruits and vegetables), the Indian spice ‘turmeric’ etc. Low dose aspirin/ NSAIDS and medical marijuana may also be effective in the process.
Hope this information helps.

Take care!
Hey Barbara!

Hope this information helps.

Take care!
wow thank you so much. that makes me feel a little better about it. i thought if your mother had it and grandmother had it than i was doomed to have it.mom had a tia and than started getting it like 3-4 years later . so not sure if that caused it. her momnot so sure but she was in her 80 when she got it and died at 92. my mom is still with us, shes bed ridden now not sure why but she just stoped walking one day about 3 months ago and has never took another step. its so sad to watch but am learning so much from taking care of her and trying to have things lined up in case i got it.

i do a lot to stay busy, i play games i work part time and on the comp all the time trying to learn something new.  my mom quite school in 8 th grade got married at 15 had first baby at 16 and never worked outside the home, she had a big job raising 4 girls. she also has diabetes. thank you again for giving me that little bit of hope.
What are your thoughs on give Risperidone 0.25 to some one who has Altzheimers.  He is 84 yrs old
hi, hope the Dr answers your question, but i can tell you we give it to my mom who is 72, she would get really up-aet and out of control so drs gave it to us to give to her, it worked to calm her down. we started with a low dose and took it up to 1mg when she was really having hard time.

its not easy trying to give others meds and to figure out what  will work for them we can feel how they feel we just have to go by how they act. good luck and God Bless you and your family.