Anal Cancer Community
Colonoscopy Results Questions?

WELCOME TO THE ANAL CANCER COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Anal Cancer, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options.

Colonoscopy Results Questions?

I am 29 yo male. I had rectal bleeding for about 3 days when I went number 2 over a year ago, and it was suggested I have a colonoscopy. The bleeding has never come back, and I finally got around to having my colonoscopy done. The test went fine, but I am confused and worried about the results. Here are the findings: digital rectal exam revealede a less than 1 cm (diameter) firm rectal mass palpated 5 to 6 cm from the anal verge. The mass was non-circumferential and located predominately at the anterior bowel wall. Digital rectal exam revealed a less than 1cm (diameter) rubbery textured anal mass palpated 2 to 3 cm from the anal verge. The mass was non-circumferential and located predominately at the right bowel wall. The exam was otherwise normal throughout the examined colon. My question is, they did not do a biopsy during the test. I am supposed to return in 2 weeks. The doctor I think said I will need another procedure to remove one of the masses, but he did not seem concerned, should I be? I didn't really grasp what he was saying too much as I was still recovering from the sedation. Wouldn't they have done a biopsy if there was concern for cancer? Thanks.
That seems odd that they wouldn't do a biopsy during the test and also that so much time would go by before they looked at it again. I would check again with the doctor and see if they did a biopsy and if not, I would ask why. Never have heard of anyone having a test with the doctors finding a mass and they didn't biopsy it when they were in there. Maybe they want to/planned to biopsy it AFTER it is removed. How comfortable are you with this doctor? Is he a gastroenterologist (digestive system specialist)? If not, personally I would ask for all my records (doctor's notes, all test results and pathology reports if any) and consider a specialist. Please keep us posted and good luck,
Yvette