My anus is so painful, advice please!
Hi there, I'll preface this question by letting you know I've had an untreated anal fissure for a few years now. Stupidly I've never gone to the doctor about it. I've currently however been having diarrhea, and have also been to the doctors a lot recently with another health issue so I don't want to quickly go again, I'd prefer to leave it a week or two. Essentially my anus is currently a very purpley colour and is very sore when wiping. There is a redness that has spread quite far beyond my anus in between the two cheeks and it is very sore/itchy to touch. There also appeared to be some whiteish mucus stuff last night that I could see on the toilet paper and some yellow crusty stuff. I've tried applying some germolene to the area in the hope that it's just a little irritated/small infection, but my question is do I need to go to the doctors straight away with this or not. I may have found a slight skin tag too when examining it myself but I'm not sure.
I'm a 19 year old male, if that makes any difference.
Hi, understand your concerns. Fissure in ano is a condition in which there is severe pain while passing stools and there is bleeding. If you have been suffering from chronic fissures its best you opt for surgery.  With the fissures there is usually tightening of the internal sphincter in the rectum causing the symptoms. So, lateral subcutaneous internal sphincterotomy is the preferred option for the treatment of chronic fissure in ano. And this does not need an external scar. You may not feel any pain with this procedure, so please dont worry and consult your doctor. And post surgery follow a diet protocol to avoid constipation. Regards.