Anal Cancer Community
Rectal swelling

WELCOME TO THE ANAL CANCER COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Anal Cancer, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options.

Rectal swelling

I am a 22 year old caucasian male.  I noticed this morning some minor discomfort on the exterior of my anus, and upon further investigation, discovered what appears to be a slight swelling on the sphincter.  The swelling overall is slightly smaller than a pea.  
It does not seem to be bleeding or weeping, and it does not cause any further discomfort during a bowel movement.  Also, there is no discoloration, or any skin irritation or abrasion.
I'm not necessarily suggesting that this is cancer, but this seemed to be the closest category in the forum.
Any answers or suggestions as to how I ought to proceed would be appreciated.
I re-examined the affected area, and found that the swelling has slightly increased, and there is now some darkening of the color.  The swollen spot has become more bluish, as though there was some bruising or something.
It has also become more tender to sit on.  
Get to a rectal/colon specialist.  I am a 3 yr survivor of anal cancer.  Lots of growths or whatever can show up in anal area.  Probably nothing to fear.  But you won't know until a doctor examines you.

I suggest a specialist as they have the equipment necessary to do a thorough exam.  As well as experience.  My cancer was not found by gasto in routine colonoscopy.  It was a self referral to surgeon that uncovered the cancer and saved my life.

Will mention this tho' you probably already know.  HPV is responsible for most anal cancers: sexually transmitted.  Frequently presents as a genital wart.  If you are young there is a vaccine to prevent.                    Best.......
Sorry....see you are 22.  Good...believe you are eligible for vaccine.  I strongly recommend.

My oncologist says if we continue to ignore threat this fairly rare cancer will be come epidemic.          Don't need that do we?
Thanks for the advice.  I don't know how soon I can get to a specialist, but I will definitely go to a doctor asap.  
I'm not sure about the vaccine, as I am in Canada, and I presume you are familiar with the US medical system.  But I will check into it regardless.
Thank you again!
Nick
Nicholas,  please please get back to me on this, I'm 16 and i have exactly same problem as you described, I live in England and i have kinda a growth thing like you described, its also started going blue on and around affected area... :/ Please tell me what you did, as your the first article I've found that described my 'illness', please help I'm kinda scared ....