Aneurysm Community
15 year old, epigastric pulse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

15 year old, epigastric pulse

Hi, I am a 15 year old boy, 6 ft tall , 154 lbs quite thin, BMI 20.3 , I used to do strenous exercise for about 6 -9 months for my badminton training( I left it in august), well now i am off. Recently 3 months ago, i noticed a pulse in stomached , when i pressed down real hard( probably my aorta) . Then about 2 months, I can feel a palpable epigastric pulse, when i hold my breath. I went to the Child speacialist ( family doc)  two times, after seeing my pulse( he didnt do a physical examination) , he told that it was normal and just epigastric pulsuation and that i shouldnt worry. Well the epigastric pulse is still present and also when i lie down in bed , i can see my epigastirc pulse.  I never smoked, drink and dont have a family history of AAA.  What could it be?  Please i need help , i am anxious about it and my exams are just a month away.
Hi!
In a thin built person, normal pulse of the abdominal aorta can be felt. This is a normal finding. Another possibility is a strong heartbeat being conducted to the stomach area. Again it could be a normal finding or it could be due to a heart condition (less likely given your age and history of playing sports). Also, AAA is less likely given your history. However, if you are on the heavy side, then please ask your parents to get an abdominal ultrasound and a heart ECHO done after consulting a cardiologist. Usually AAA and heart conditions present with other symptoms (increased heart rate, sinking sensation, sweating, etc) apart from a pulse that can be felt on the outside. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thankyou, for you answer,  My GP said i neednt worry, but i can see my epigastric pulse when i am laying down also,  like a pulse it moves in my epigastric area.