Aneurysm Community
5.2 mm aortic an

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

5.2 mm aortic an

hi im 32 years old i have moderade aortic sternosis and they perfome and angiogram last week the cardiologits tall me that my aortic root is 5.2mm please i will like some advise in what to do im on the waiting list of the surgeon but i dont know how severe is my condition
tanks
Most surgeons will operate on a root/ascending aneurysm at 5.0cm.  Some will wait until it gets to be 5.5cm.  Some will operate at 4.5cm, depending on the circumstances.  The general philosphy is that surgery is not indicated until the risk of the aneurysm's rupturing or dissecting is greater than the risk of death or disability from the surgery.  It is serious surgery, but then having a big aneurysm is serious, also.  A lot of factors have to be weighed, when deciding on the timing of surgery.

You want the most experienced surgeon you can get, and I mean experienced in repairing thoracic aortic aneurysms, not just experienced in cardiothoracic surgery in general.  Experience in your specific procedure plays a very influential role in surgical outcome.  This is especially true in aortic surgery.  You really don't want to be part of somebody's learning curve.  I would look for the number of aortic aneurysm repairs that my prospective surgeon had performed to be in the hundreds, if at all possible.  There are not a lot of surgeons who have done that many.  

Most heart surgeons' "bread and butter" is the coronary artery bypass graft (CABG)  procedure.  CABG is a bit simpler, relatively speaking, than thoracic aortic aneurysm repair, and it is also a much more common operation.  Surgeons get more opportunity to become proficient at CABG than they do at any kind of aortic surgery, largely because the CABG procedures are so much more numerous.  So if you want a surgeon who has extensive aortic experience, you may have to actively seek that person out.  See my comments to Shellkell, below, about finding an aortic center for a second opinion.  This may apply to you, also.  

If you are very, very lucky, the surgeon to whom you have already been referred will have adequate experiece.  If it were me (and it has been), I would start by asking that particular surgeon how many thoracic aortic aneurysm repairs he has done.

Good luck.