AAA or just strong aortic pulse
hi 4 months ago i had a routing abdominal ultra sound, and every thing was normal, lately i i have been having these paranoid episodes that i have aaa,, now my question is,is the ultrasound enough to assure me that i have no aaa even if its for months ago and i only have a strong abdominal pulse?
Hi!

Yes, an abdominal ultrasound can detect an aneurysm in the abdominal aorta, and if in doubt you can go for a CT scan.

However, there are many causes for a visible abdominal pulse that also need to be ruled out. In a thin built person, normal pulse of the abdominal aorta can be felt. This is a normal finding. Another possibility is a strong heartbeat being conducted to the stomach area. Again it could be a normal finding or it could be due to a heart condition. However it could also be an aneurysm. This can be diagnosed and treated by a vascular specialist and an angiogram not ultrasound is done to detect it. Severe acidity, gas in stomach and muscle twitches too could be causing a pulsing. If heart and aortic causes are ruled out, then this should be looked into. Do consult your doctor. Take care!