Aneurysm Community
Aneurysm surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

Aneurysm surgery

I was diagnose in December with a large (13 by 10mm) ICA aneurysm in the optimal segment.  It is a very complicated aneurysm.  I had been having trouble with my vision and headaches for about 2 years but no one seemed to know what the problem was until a CT scan, then a MRI, and then a Cerebral angiogram.  I will be having surgery on the 8th of March.  I have done a lot of research on aneurysm and am no longer afraid of it, however I am terrifed of surgery and it's risks.  I am a need to know person.  The more I understand things the better I feel. I seen the Neurosurgeon yesterday.  He is going to attemp to clip the annie but not sure if he can.  If he is not comfortable with the situation then he will put me back together like Humpdy Dumpdy and then reassess the situation.  My question is why would he not try other procedures at the time he has my head open anyway?  It makes no sense to close me back up just to have to reopen my head later.  Does anyone out there know anything about this surgery?  Thanks Vai
I don't know anything about this surgery, but I know your questions are reasonable, and you deserve to have answers.  Maybe you will want to either schedule another consultation appointment with your surgeon and talk more, get a second opinion from a different surgeon, or both.  

I would only want a very experienced surgeon to operate on any brain aneurysm, much less a "complicated" one.  I would look for the most experienced surgeon I could get.  

Like you, I would not be happy about the prospect of an exploratory brain surgery.  I use the term exploratory because that's what your surgeon is really talking about, isn't it?  Opening up your head just to take a look and see if he can fix it?  

I would want whatever needs to be done to be done in one procedure, if at all possible.  If not possible, then the prospective surgeon would have to explain, to MY satisfaction and understanding, why even the greatest neurosurgeon in the world might need to do two procedures.  And even then, I might still need that second opinion, before I would proceed with the operation.  

I don't know where you live, but if you are not near a major neurosurgery center, maybe you can get a record review consultation from a recognized expert at one of the top centers.  Or if you can travel in person, that is great.  

Or if you are already a patient at a major neurosurgery center, you are lucky.  You can just find out who is the most renowned surgeon for aneurysm repair and tell the surgeon who you have already seen that you want to see that doctor.

Of course, you want to avoid unnecessary delay, but you say you are more afraid of the surgery than you are of the aneurysm.  And maybe a delay is worth the risk, it it keeps you from going ahead with a bad plan -- or even if it eases your mind that the original plan is a good one.  

Good luck.
Thanks for you advice.  I appreciate it.  I live in Canada and don't have the advantage (maybe without referrels) to get another neurosurgeon opinion.  It does sound like exploratory surgery tho.  Your advice is sound and I will check into things here to see if I can get another opinion. Thank you again, Vai
Okay, let us know how it goes.  I don't know anything about the Canadian system, but there has to be a way to get some additional expertise on your case, even if it's just sending your records to an expert.  If you are having your surgery at a teaching hospital, you should have a right to see the supervisor of the surgeon who you talked to.  

Maybe somebody in Canada can respond to this thread.  The Olympics are almost over, everybody come away from the TV!

Don't give up, Vai0.  I will be thinking about you.  
Thank you so very much.  I was hesitant about joining a forum but it is nice to have someone to talk with about your concerns and fears.  Already, my first day with this forum, I feel like someone cares enough to answer my questions which I have more off than answer right now.  Take care and I will keep you updated.  Vai
Okay, great.  You can PM people on this forum, too.  Just click on the member's name, and it will take you to their page.  Then you can message them.  Feel free.  I haven't had a brain aneuyrsm (yet, LOL) but I've been through a lot of other stuff.
My wife had a subarachnoid aneurysm clipping surgery on that same date in 1994.  She has had many challenges since that time but in my opinion she has become a better person because of it.  It helps tremendously to have a lot of support around you and make sure that they will be patient and understanding.  I have taken great interest in research surrounding my wife's recovery.  Good luck and God Bless You.  You are taking the right steps to insure your recovery.  Feel free to ask any questions.  I have witnessed every minute of my wife's emergency transport through surgery through rehabilitation and every day since.  The brain has a truly unique ability to heal with time and stick-to-it-ive-ness!
I hope your surgery went well! I'm new to this forum & aneurysms in general.

A recent MRA of my head showed a 2mm right supraclinoid ICA aneurysm (which could possibly be on the ophthalmic segment (as I have pressure behind my eye), even though neurosurgeon I saw yesterday told me it was far too small and not protruding in the right direction to be pressing on my optic nerve, so it couldn't possibly be causing my symptoms of blurry vision, imbalance, and eye pressure. He also thinks it might not even be there as it's near where another vessel branches off, so it could be nothing.

Do you think this could be causing my symptoms? eye pressure, imbalance, vision blurry, occasional neck strain.

Please let me know how you are doing now.
:)
I hope this message finds you in Good Health and on the way to a great recovery.  We haven't heard from you in a while and would be interested to know how your doing.

eddie1994
In 2000 I had a Subarachnoid Aneurysm that started to bleed the next day I underwent a craniotomy to stop the bleeding and clip the Aneurysm since surgery I have had no more problems with migraines which I'd suffered with for nearly 20 years,the only reason the Aneurysm was picked up was because of the brain haemorrage,I had an angiogram to pinpoint where the bleed was.

Denise