Aneurysm Community
Aortic Root Dilation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

Aortic Root Dilation

I'm a 69 year old male, weight 12 stone, height 6 ft.

I had a mitral valve repair Oct 2011 and am being monitored for atrial fibrillation (ok at the moment).

At my last meeting (September) the cardio expressed concern about  my aortic root which measured 4.5cm in March of this year and which will be reviewd next Feb.

I subsequently looked up an earlier echo report from august 2010 which showed my aortic root as 2.3cm (not known to my cardio).

Is timing of the next review acceptable given this rate of increase (2.2cm in 18 months).

You're right that it's a lot of growth in two years, with one big assumption --  that both measurements are accurate.  The best way to assess whether there was that much growth is to have the same doctor, preferably an expert in aortic medicine, look at both images at the same time.  If the two reports were written by two different doctors, it could be that they did not measure the root in the same way.  It helps if both images were made by the same method, for instance if both were CT.  If both were echos, it helps if they were done by the same technician, or at least done in the same manner.  If your cardio compared both images, side-by-side, in September, and if it is his opinion that your root did enlarge by 2.2 cm within an 18-month period, then no, I personally would not be satisfied to wait until February to take the next step.  I would be consulting the best expert in aortic medicine that I could find to look at the two previous images and advise me.  I see from your profile that you are in the UK, and your system works differently than ours.  But if my aorta grew that fast, I would be getting nervous.  Fast growth is one of the indications for surgery.  Absolute size is another.  Unexplained chest pain is a concern in this situation, so if you should start having unexplained chest pains, you'll want to get immediate medical attention.  Good luck.