Aneurysm Community
At risk for aneurysms with BAV. Is an MRI enough?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

25 yo male. I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve with leakage and stenosis about two months ago. As I understand it, people with BAV and more prone to aneurysms. I have had both an MRI and CT scan of the brain within the past six months, both without contrasts. I had the MRI to check for MS or other problems as I suddenly developed body wide twitching muscles. It came back normal. I also had a CT scan at the ER because I temporarily lost vision in my left eye. It came back normal and I was diagnosed with a migraine. For the past month or so, my neck has been sore and stiff. I get random, localized scalp pains, eye pains, and temple pain/pressure (sometimes only one side, sometimes both). Also, very brief bouts of vertigo multiples times a day when moving my head or eyes. Now, I have been pretty stressed. I'm fairly sure I have health anxiety. I also tend to clench my jaw and tense my shoulders when stressed. I'm becoming a little stressed out about the possibility of having a neck/brain aneurysm. Could a MRI or CT scan w/o contrast at least rules out an aneurysm that is large enough to rupture?
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Yes, plain MRI and CT scan detect a large aneurysm. Very small aneurysms may be missed, but usually these aneurysms do not cause any problems.
Your symptoms look more like pinched nerves in the neck or TMJ due to jaw clenching. You need a MRI of cervical spine to look into the pinched nerve. Use a hard bed to sleep. Avoid a pillow. Roll a towel and place it under your neck while sleeping on the back and between head and shoulder when lying on the side. Initially this will be uncomfortable but with time the acupressure usually works. Use an analgesic cream or spray. Anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants also help. Also, you must improve your posture while sitting and working. Manual therapy, traction, cervical collar, neck exercises etc should all be tried as all these can help relieve pain. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you for your response. I do clench my jaw A LOT and have horrible posture at work. I'll give your suggestions a try.