Aneurysm Community
Brain Aneurysm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

Brain Aneurysm

I had a ruptured brain aneurysm a little over two months ago.  I recovered very quickly without rehab or handicap.  I am still recovering at home, but the doctors told me that I have another aneurysm (3.2 mm) on the left side of my head which needs to have surgery.  I've been given the option to wait and watch it or have the surgery in the near future.  I am terrified.  It's hard for me to decide what to do. My neurosurgeon told me that he cannot make the decision for me since it is not an emergency.  Is there anyone out there who has thad two surgeries for brain aneurysm?  Please give me some advice.
The decision has to be your's alone.  The ramifications of doing nothing could be catastrophic.  Many who have one aneurysm have multiple.  My wife had one that ruptured 18 years ago. She survived but it was a life changing event in so many ways.  Personally, I don't recommend you let it get to that point because you may not get a do over.  I recommend that you take a look at the Brain Anerurysm Foundation webpage and select the Forum Thread.  There you will find many similarly situated folks that can help you as well.  Also while at 3.2mm, the rate of growth is what needs to be watched.  At 5.0mm is typically when surgery is highly recommended.
Thanks so much for your answer to my question.  Do you know if there is any danger in clipping a 3.2mm aneurysm?  I have a scheduled surgery date for June 20th but I'm terrified but at the same time, I am very nervous waiting.
There is always a danger when ever surgery is to be done, but then so can a splinter.  Be assured that surgical techniques today are far different and better from those that were done even 10 years ago.  Because you haven't ruptured yet, you are in much better physical condition then someone who did rupture.  My wife did 18 years ago, she was clipped and survived but she has residual cognitive issues mainly due to the rupture.  

When surgery time comes, the best advice I can give aside from having all of your legal documents in order such as durable power of attorney, will, and medical power of attorney, and living will, is to have someone preferably a family member or members watching over you very closely in the hospital and making sure all sterile procedures are maintained.  By having someone who knows you and your pecularities (we all have them) so that any unusual changes van be reported and acted on immediately.
Thanks, Eddie.  I scheduled my surgery for June, but I'm rethinking that decision.  I read on the Forum that surgery can be very risky if the aneurysm is too small. So I;m going to watch it for a few months to see if it is growing.