Aneurysm Community
Migraines after aneurysm surgery

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

Migraines after aneurysm surgery

I'm 33 yrs. old and I had surgery over a year ago to clip a aneurysms.  However, since the surgery I've started getting debilitating migraines. I've already met with the doctor who preformed my aneurysm surgery, as well as, two neurologists who provided limited answers as to the cause or possible resolutions to the migraines.  I currently take 2 tables  25miligrams of Topanex/day and 2 tablets of Methacarbamol/day and 1 tablets of Imitrex when a migrain occurs.  

My questions are:
Are migrains a common after effect of brain surgery?
Is there any evidence or reason to believe that the types of migraines I am experiencing will stop or disapate anytime soon?  
Are there current studies regarding the occurrence of migraines after brain surgery?
Besides the surgery itself is there any correllation between brain aneurysms and migraines?
I am meeting with yet another doctor in a few weeks about my surgery and the migraines I am experiencing do you have any suggestions regarding additional questions to ask or therapy to consider?

Thanks you in advance!!!
Brie1976
Brie1976,

It seems funny to talk to people with numbers but I realize the implications of giving an using our real names, I also have an aneurysum that actually ocluded itself meaning it clotted itself and healed itself, however, I have suffered from that day on over 22 years ago from seizure disorders and migraine pain every day, doctors are not very understanding of this because they say no one can be in this much pain, but I say if they can't feel the pain themselves then what do they know to tell us how much pain our we actually feeling they are book taught while we are taught by ourselves by our bodies reactions to what is going on.  I see a neurologist and a pain management doctor and both of them claim that my migraines are due to psychological problems not the actual aneurysum and after 22 years believe me I have had stress in my life, but it is due to the pain and the seizure which are considered medically in text books to be secondary problems due to the orginal problem the aneurysum and I think this is what you are experiencing too, I wish you good luck with your doctors and hope you find one who understands exactly what you are talking about and gets your the correct help without you having to look for the answer like me for over 22 years.  Write back and let me know if you have any luck.
You can have migraines after any type of head trauma.  That's all the information that I really can offer you.  Brain surgery is a type of head trauma, even though the purpose of it is to help you.  I'm a psychological examiner, and in my practice, I've talked to lots and lots of people who have had persistant headaches after head trauma.  You might google headaches + head trauma and see what you get.  Those are my thoughts, as far as they go.  I just don't know anything specific about migraines and aneurysms or migraines and brain surgery.  I'm sorry for the situation you are in.  You had to do the surgery to save your life, but now you have a problem that you didn't have before.  I hope the headaches do go away.  
Brie,

I two suffer migraines after having subarachnoid hemmorage in 1994.  The migraines started about six months after surgery and clipping of the aneurysm and continue today.  In fact I just recovered from a three day pain fest.  My triggers seem to be weather related especially when a large storm comes from certain directions.  I also have had head pain on the side of clip started by being to close to  a computer monitior like an LCD.  There are very good neurologist out there and I hope the best for you.
Brie,

Would you try this and let me know if you have the same results I did:  
1) Keep a normal distance from a computer monitor or a LCD monitor
2) Turn your head on the surgical scar side facing the computer monitor or try slowly, very slowly rotating at that same distance from the monitor and see if you notice an increase in pain.  My pain starts about 30 to 40 seconds from the time my scar side is facing the monitor.  

Would you post your reply here about what your results are.  I really appreciate if you would try this.  Your experience might just help us resolve what is causing our Migraines.
My sister suffered from migraines after her surgery. Finally, I asked to to suggest to her doctor a diuretic. Her migraines increase with bad weather. He kind of scoffed at this, but it has decreased her episodes and intensity quite a bit.
Hope this helps.
Katy
Your sister, by using a diuretic, could be short circuiting the migraine electrical storm as it is sometimes referred.  Logically it appears plausible since she would be reducing electrolytes and sodium among other components that neurons need to transmit messages including pain.   Caution should always be used to avoid other health problems.  Keep us posted as to how this continues helping her.  
I am 37 now and 5 years in after brain surgery to clamp an aneurysm. I suffered from migrains years before I found out about having an aneurysm. My grandmother died at the age of 36 from one and it was brought to my attention that it is a hereditary trait. After the surgery my neuro surgent said this will not disapate the migrains in anyway because one has nothing to do with the other. They are not sure why migrains occure and do not forsee a cure for it any time soon. I have been on many medicines to even count and none have worked thus far. It is this one medicine that works but puts me on my butt for several days and I can't take the medicine until a migraine occures and as you know the pain is unbearable. So you tell me if that medicine is considered a winner I know not in my eyes. As soon as I can find the box I will give you that information so you can discuss it with your doctor. Take care and I feel your pain. You may not have noticed them before the surgery because they may have been milder than now or you didn't really think it was anything but a headache or sinus headache.