Aneurysm Community
Newly diagnosed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

Newly diagnosed

In February (last month) I met with a Neurologist because of migraine symptoms (vertigo, tinnitus, tingling/tightness around my head). He ordered a MRA. The MRA revealed a 2mm anurysm behind my right eye. I am a healthy 42 year old female. My grandmother (dad's side) died of a brain aneurysm when she was 60yrs old and so did my mom's first cousin. My neurologist has indicated that I am suffering from vestibular migraines and my ENT has diagnosed me with benign positional vertigo.

My 4 questions are this:
1.  Has anyone had a small anurysm like mine (2mm) and had it clamped or coiled?
2.  Do you think my symptoms (vertigo, tinnitus, tingling/tightness around my head) are related to the anurysm?
3.  How common/uncommon is an ophthalmic artery and should there be concern with it possibly bursting since its so small?
4. Do they know enough about anuresyms and family history? They are not too worried about my family history since its not my direct family (mom/dad/brother/sister)...

Thank you for taking the time to respond. This is a new diagnosis for me and it has been hard to digest it all. I am not sure if I should be concerned or not as the doctors don't seem too concerned given the size...
Thank you in advance for your help and guidance!
Your 2mm is small relative to a 5mm threshold some Doctor's use as a decision line.  More importantly is the rate of growth of the aneurysm.  You only have one sample period so far so the growth rate can't be determined yet.  You may want to ask your Neurologist when he/she will do the next sample.

Your symptoms could be related because you mention the aneurysm is on the ophthalmic artery.  At certain points it is located close to the ophthalmic nerve so if it is growing and touching the nerve you can expect some type of symptoms.  The vertigo and tingling seem possible.  

My wife's maternal side (Aunt's) had histories of burst aneurysms and my wife had a rupture as well.  Her aneurysm size could not be determined because it burst and emergency clipping was done.  The good news is she survived but not without long term consequences.  If your Doctors seems unconcerned don't let that deter you from staying on top of your situation.  Better to be proactive then reactive.