Aneurysm Community
Normal Aortic Root Range for 21 Year Old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

I am a 21 year old female weighing approximately 130 lbs. I have a grandmother who has had 2 aortic aneurysms, 1 abdominal and one thoracic. My dad (her son) has been checked and everything has been cleared yet I began to worry about my own aorta. When researching about them online I began to find a lot of things about Marfan Syndrome which I then decided to pretty much self diagnose myself with just out of complete paranoia. I have a high-arched palate and very flexible fingers. So long story short I went to the doctor and had an echo cardiogram done along with an EKG. Marfan Syndrome has since become out of the question, yet looking back over my results and doing more research I seem to have come to the conclusion that even though I do not have an enlarged aortic root, I do seem to have a larger one than most people my age/weight. As of last year my aortic root diameter was 3.0 cm. Is this a cause for concern or am I well within the normal range? I know it says it ranges from 2.0-3.8 cm, but I've also read that they increase by about .2 cm every decade, which would mean at some point in my life I will have an aortic aneurysm. Just thought I'd get some opinions, I'm not trying to replace any doctor's advice or anything. Thanks in advance for anyone's time.
Hi!
Given the family history, I can understand your paranoia. However, anxiety can precipitate a lot of things. Enlargement of aortic root, and how much it will enlarge, all depends on family history, personal history of hypertension, heart disease, thyroid disorders, and diabetes—all of which can affect the blood vessels. If you are otherwise healthy, and maintain a healthy lifestyle, then you should be fine. It is very difficult to predict whether you'll have aneurysm or not, and hence, this thought should not overtake your life.
I am glad you are cautious, and if you get regular check-ups as advised by your doctor—the tests and frequency at which they need to be bone—annually or once in two years—you should be fine. Take care!