Aneurysm Community
POST ANEURYSM SURGERY FLYING

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

POST ANEURYSM SURGERY FLYING

I've had brain aneurysm surgery in Nov 2009, three main ruptures were clipped. I am still recovering, though I did not have any major function impairment. My only concern now is I get easily exhausted which was never a problem to me before. I learned too that Aneurysm runs in the family, with three of my aunts and uncles died of the illness. I plan to make some overseas trips in  May 2010, which will be six months after the surgery, but I'm scared and a bit unsure about how safe it is for me to fly after only six months post surgery. Are my fears valid, are there risks involved?  
pepita,

I can comment only on my wife's experience.  She had SAH clipping surgery in 1994 and she hasen't flown anywhere to this date.  Mainly due to multiple monthly migraines.  She is fearful that if it triggers a migraine attack, it could last 3-5 days and the last place you want to be when you have a full blown attack is away from home.  The exhaustion is something that she also had for the first 4-5 years following surgery.  She tried to return to work but was overwhelmed by fatigue after just a couple of hours and she only had a desk job.  You'll need to give yourself some time to fully recover.  It's 14 years post-op and just recently she had her first desire for  a beer - something she enjoyed prior to the surgery.  I personally don't think the flight would cause any harm because airplane cabins are pressurized to somewhere around 6,000+- feet.  Let us know if you have experienced any migraines as a result of your surgery.  Thank you.
I had an open craniotomoy last Aug 17, 2013 due to a ruptured aneurysm. Aug 16, 2013 before midnight, I experienced the worst headache of my life. Several hours laster (the following day), I was found unconscious in the toilet of the hotel where I stayed in Frankfurt, Germany. I was rushed to emergency, physical examinations revealed I had different pupils, CT-scans and X-rays revealed there was a blood leak. A clot has formed already in the area where the aneurysm ruptured (upper right temporal of my head). and so an emergency open surgery was made. I was awake 3 days after. Series of CT-Scans were, on the 6th day after the operation, another dilated blood vessel was found and considered life threatening. So on the 7th day after the operation, another surgery was made to treat the other aneurysm. Coiling surgery was made. I stayed in the hospital for almost 4 weeks, I had no significant impairment and I was allowed to fly back home Sep 15, 2013,  to continue the  therapy and recovery where my family is.

Moanna (from the Philippines)
My name is Jackie, I experienced an aneurysm in February 2013.  I am currently doing okay.  I have begun to have headaches, but not severe.  I hope you are doing okay.  How are you now!