Aneurysm Community
Should I have an MRI?MRA

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

Should I have an MRI?MRA

My elderly mother was found to have a small carotid aneurysm that she was told was probably there her whole life and they were just going to "watch it".  Her Neurosurgeon has sent me(and all her children) a letter recommending that we undergo a MRI/MRA for unruptured cerebral aneurysm.  Is cerebral aneurysm the same as carotid aneurysm and are both heriditary?   Is having this test being overly careful or just prudent?
Hi - welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Your mother's doctor is taking preventative steps. It is truly hard to say, if you or your siblings will have annies too, cerebral aneurysms can be hereditary but not always. Some questions to ask are, does your family have a history of strokes or TIA's. Does your mother have siblings who have had annies and if so then absolutely get an MRA/MRI.

There's plenty of stories out there about one family member being diagnosed prompting other members to get tested - in some cases annies were found and in other's none were found.

My grandfather had an aneurysm at the base of his brain and a brain tumor. I just happen to have 3 aneurysms and a pituitary tumor. Is there any relation? I have no idea but I didn't find out until after I was diagnosed about his anuersym and others in my family who had TIA's, which are mini strokes. My annie's are small and being watched.

Do your research and let me know if you'd like to know about some other forums that have people who can answer your question's. This one is slowly picking up.

Crwstar