I am diagnosed with two small aneurysms 2mm on left median artery vertebralis and approximately 4mm one on the basilar artery directed towards left I had just headache which doctors say can not be due to aneurysms and I was diagnosed by chance on MR angiography. I have had several appointments and doctors are more concerned with the one on the basilar artery but they suggested an initial folow up for a year they say there are new reports coming that aneurysms are more likley to rupture when they are first formed and sometimes later on can go under some healing process that the walls get stronger. I panic so much over these aneurysms, I have stopped smoking and they have put me on enalapril 5mg for proper blood pressure maintanence. I am 31 years old female and I am so stressed as I have a family history of aneurysm rupture. Do you think I should go under endovascular treatment directly or is this follow up and checking over time is necessary? Thank you
I can understand your stress, but the question is very difficult to answer. Your headaches could be due to high blood pressure. So if pressure is under control, and as you have wisely given up smoking, the harmful effect of high BP and nicotine are no longer there. Aneurysms are often incidental findings, and usually require no treatment unless a symptom develops or annual check-ups reveal the need due to size enlarging, walls thinning or pressure symptoms.
However, since you have a family history of aneurysms bursting, a more careful watch needs to be maintained. All brain surgeries, however small can be risky. Hence the neurologist has to weight the pros and cons of surgery versus watching the aneurysm. You could take a second opinion from another neurologist in your area, so that you remain less anxious. Take care!
Thank you very much for your fast response. I finally decided on endovascular coilling and will be having it done early next year. I have asked opinion of brain surgeons and they all reffered me to neuroradiologists since the aneurysm can not be treated surgically. And of all the neuroradiologists I have spoken so far had the same idea not to wait but treat. They give 95% success rate and I hope everything will go fine.
Copyright 1994-2016 MedHelp International. All rights reserved.
MedHelp is a division of Aptus Health.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.