Vein popping with numbness

I have a couple of questions. On Sept 17th I got ACL surgery. 5 days after I had some calf pain as well as a couple of chest pains. I went to the ER to rule out DVT/PE and everything came back fine.

I still am having some intermittent calf pain and the hand that the IV was in now has a popped pain, which it making half my hand go numb from time to time with some arm pain.

Do I need to be further evaluated? Any idea what that could be?

Thanks,

jasmine
Hi Jasmine!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Did you have dopplar ultrasound for your calf blood vessels and a CT scan of chest to rule out the clots in these regions. If yes, then the calf pain could be due to pinched nerves or dehydration or muscle pull etc.
If the vein in which the IV line was put is painful and popping up then this could be due to thrombophlebitis. Dopplar ultrasound is quite conclusive in this—otherwise venography is performed for confirmed diagnosis. Often clinicians can diagnose this by clinical examination alone. Normally analgesics, anti-inflammatory and some anticoagulant (please never take this on your own as they can cause bleeding into organs) are given for this. Avoid hanging your hand down for a long time. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.