Aneurysm Community
abdominal aortic aneurysm

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

abdominal aortic aneurysm

I'm 38 years old and was diagnosed with a AAA about 3 years ago.  Its now 5.2cm and we're talking about surgery.  My doctor says that the endovascular method would not be good because of lack of space between the renal artery and the top of the aneurysm.  He did say that i could probably find someone to do it but he wouldn't.

I'm extremely concerned with what I've been reading about loss of sexual function as a complication of the open surgery.  I cannot find any solid information about the odds of this happening.  My doctor would not give me a straight answer and i've read in one place its a 7-10% chance and another that its up to 80% chance.

I understand what retrograde ejaculation is but it would not really affect me since I don't plan on having anymore kids (have 3) from what i understand doesn't affect performance.  

My concern is with erectile dysfunction.  What are the odds of this happening.  Would it be permanent?

Could someone please shed some light on this for me.

HI THERE
I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE OUTCOME WAS DID YOU UNDERGO THE SURGERY AND HOW LOG DID IT TAKE, MY HUSBAND IS 53 YEARS OLD AND WAS DIAGNOSED WITH AN INFRARENAL AORTIC ANEURYSM WITH THROMBUS cLOT, IT IS 45MM AT  THE MOMENT AND I AM REALLY WORRIED  AS HIS MUM ASSED AWAY IN DECEMBER WHILE WAITING FOR SURGEY IN JUNE THIS YEAR AS THEY WANTED IT TO BE 5.5, HIS GRANDMA HAD THROMBUS AND SHE DIED FROM IT, HE HAD NO  SYMTOMS (symptoms) JUST THAT HE WENT FOR HIS ROUTINE BLOOD TEST THAT CAME OUT CLEAR AND A URINE TEST AS HE HAS HAD HEMATURIA MICROSCOIC,  BUT THE DOCTOR WAS CHECKING HIS ALBUMIN AS HIS RESSURE WAS HIGH AND THAT WAS 618 IT SHOULD BE BELOW 25 SO THEY SENT HIM FOR A ULTRA SOUND, AND THATS WHEN THEY FOUND IT, THEN THEY SENT HIM FOR A SCAN WITH IV CONTRAST AND THEY SAID THAT EVERYTHING ELSE LOOKS ALRIGHT. HE HAS DONE A 24 HR URINE TEST TODAY. WHERE WAS YOUR ANEURYSM., HE IS A SMOKER, HOW LONG DID THE SUREGERY TAKE  IF YOU WENT FOR IT, WHO WAS YOUR DOCTOR HE IS GOING TO SEE MR  ADRIAN LING IN MELBOURNE ARE THERE ANY QUESTIONS I SHOULD ASK THE DOCTOR LEASE ANY INFORMATION YOU CAN ROVIDE WILL BE ARECIATED GOD BLESS YOU