Aneurysm Community
genetic?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

genetic?

My sister had a brain aneurysm 2 weeks ago & is currently having vaso spasms.She cannot speak coherently & is partially paralyzed on her right side.Her doctors will not tell the family anything about her condition...will it get better?...will it get worse?...is she going to die?...its really hard on us not knowing what to expect.Even if the prognosis is bad we'd like to know.Also,is this genetic?She's 43 & I'm 47(brother).Should I be worried and if so, what do I need to do?Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IT'S STRANGE THAT YOUR SISTERS' DOCTORS ARE NOT GIVING YOU MUCH INFORMATION ON HER CONDITION.  I CAN ALSO UNDERSTAND YOUR FEAR OF ANEURYSMS BEING GENETIC.  I SUFFERED A BRAIN ANEURYSM IN 1994, MY BROTHER ALSO HAD THE SAME THING, AND MY MOTHER HAD AN AORTIC ANEURYSM THAT SHE PASSED AWAY FROM.  SO IN MY OPINION IT'S DEFINEATELY GENETIC.  I WOULD SUGGEST OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS GET TESTED AND BECOME MORE AWARE OF THEIR HEALTH CONCERNS.  I WISH YOU AND YOUR SISTER GOOD HEALTH FOR THE FUTURE.
It has now been 3 weeks since sis's anuerysm burst...she's still in ICU...she is now paralyzed in both arms although she can move her feet a little...she can stick her tongue out & squeeze your hand a little (sometimes)...the doctors say that thay can't give us a prognosis yet because it's still to early to tell...they're still only giving her a 50/50 chance of survival & say even if she lives her condition may never improve.I really appreciate your feedback as she & I are the only ones we have to turn to & it helps greatly to have someone to talk to.Again, thank you very much
Hello. My husband survived a ruptured aneurysm 3 years ago . He woke up after 2 days and everyone was calling him a miracle . Two days later vaso spasms hit him . He had to have a shunt put in his head . He is left handed and that is the arm that does not work for him . He is in pain all day every day . He is back to work after 3 years and one spinal surgery to drain a cyst in his neck from aneurysm bleed . He also has mild brain damage and has anger outbursts because of it and short term memory issues .  Every one is different with recovery , that is why they ( Dr.s ) dont tell you anything , it is so very scary , and frustrating to say the least . All you can do is wait . Dont give up hope . Ever . It is a day to day second to second life for us but I am and our 3 boys are moving forward every day .

Take care

Lisa
There is a genetic component to aneruysms and a good Doctor or a web search will help you obtain more information.  Other factors such and smoking, blood pressure, cholestrol etc., can also be a strong factor.