Aneurysm Community
how often should one be tested

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

how often should one be tested

Aneurysms run in my family on my mothers side. That I know of, 4 people have had them all on mothers side. 2 brain, and 2 heart. 3 deaths.
How often should one be tested for anuerysm?

I have a headache and dizzy or light headed when I stand up all the time recently.

Thank you,

april

Hi!
Well, since you have headache with dizziness on standing up, postural hypotension (blood pressure falling with change of position), internal ear problems and cervical spondylitis or compression of cervical spinal nerves should be looked into. All these cause dizziness when you get up from lying down position or when you change position that results in a change in the level of your head. Cervical spondylitis and ear problems also cause dizziness on changing the position of the neck.  Please discuss with your doctor and get the requisite investigations done.
Other than this, since you have a strong family history of aneurysm, at least once you should be investigated for this. Thereafter, there is no time duration after which you need MRIs to rule out aneurysm. If you do not have one now, you may not need routine testing for it. Routine testing is done only in cases an aneurysm is found and needs to be monitored. You may however talk to your neuro-specialist regarding signs and symptoms you should be aware of. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
I was reading your advice on aneurysm. My mother died of a brain aneurysm 12 years ago. I asked the doctor I had at the time if I should be tested. The answer was no.
Please tell me what you think on this matter.