Aneurysm Community
minimal chronic microvascular ischemic disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

My recent MRI of my brain found mild T2 and Flair signal changes in the perivenricular white matter and subcortical white matter compatible with minimal chronic microvascular ischemic disease.  What does this mean?
Hi!
These indicate small vessel ischemic disease or changes of brain blood vessels. These changes are seen in multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer's or Wilson's Disease, migraine headaches, diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Though they are of no immediate threat, all these causes, and the presence of ischemic changes can be a risk factor for future stroke. Hence, prevention methods should include a healthy lifestyle, and a combination of diet, exercise, and medicines. Please discuss with your treating doctors. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you so much for your response.  I do have high blood pressure (last year I had they placed 4 stents in my heart vessels) and recently my cardiologist changed my medication.  The MRI also found a "tiny aneurism (aneurysm)" close to my optic nerve.  Now they have ordered a ballon angiogram of my head and neck to be sure the aneurism (aneurysm) is truly not a problem and that my problems with balance and nerve pulses up the back of my head when I look to either side or down are not due to a poor supply of blood to the brain.  Two of my doctors think I might have trigeminal neuralgia.  Will this angiogram help confirm or refute that possible diagnosis?