mom had aneurysm 6 years ago
Mom had an aneurysm 6 years ago. Somehow she felt 'weird' and called an ambulance. Died twice on the operating table and was induced into a coma for 2 months. They implanted some sort of metal coil in her brain where it was.
My question, is whether they are hereditary or not. A friend said her family has a run of them through her aunt and cousins, but another Doctor said it was never hereditary.
Genetics do play a role but so do heath risk factors such as smoking, excessing weight, high blood pressure.  Genetics plays a role in my wife's family.  I've suggested that my Sister-In Laws be screened - but that's up to them.
Thanks for the answer, I am not in contact with her so was never really told much. It would explain the strange death of my Great Aunt as well years ago. I was a child , but she died after a small intense headache on  the way to the hospital.
I believe genetics play a role aneurysma also run high in my immediate family however I believe environmental factors are more important you might have a genetic disposition of weakness in  blood vessels however if you do not smoke and keep blood pressure at normal limits I believe you can delay the process or even not experience it. Best wishes......