Aneurysm Community
open brain surgery after coiling for nerve damage.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

apx 5 years ago I underwent 4 procedures for a giant right carotid aneurysm, stenting and coiling.  Things seemed to be going fine until the last surgery...well not too bad ..but i started to develop a palsy to the nerves of my right eye.(the aneurysm is pretty much behind that eye), the pain has not been too bad, uncomfortable with vision changes,,I actually underwent a small surgery on the left eye to bring it more inline with the right for a better "sweet spot" and that has been doing fine up until about 2 months ago.  I started to feel as though the right eye was very heavy.  Then at night I started to have pain that would wake me up and i could not go back to sleep ..the pounding was like a knife coming up from the back of my brain and splash out through the eye.  eventually after a week or two I drove myself to the ER in mid of night and ended up in neuro icu for 5 days,. i have been on steroids now for two cycles and the eye pain comes back..we are also trying with some gabapentin and another drug to wean off the steroids and see if these meds help with the pain..apparently the nerves around the aneurysm and the eye are causing the pain.  Today the Dr's were discussing what to do if we ca't control the pain and they said there was no use coiling as the aneurysm seemed fine...but that I may benefit from "open brain" surgery, where they would use a heart lung machine, bring my body temperature down and do reconstructive surgery(?). I did the occulsion test years ago and was not a candidate for that clipping because of the aneurysm was also not an option.  Does anyone have any idea what this surgery is called and have they underwent it?? I sort of zoned out when surgery was suggested again.  now i can't sleep... any help would be great!  Thank you!