Aneurysm Community
palpitating and murmuring sensations in my lower abdominal and pelvis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Aneurysms.

Ηello I am a male 43 y old,  I was a smoker from 25 to 35 and I started again to smoke heavily in the last 2 years. Strangely in the last 5 to 6 months I started to develop weird palpitating and murmuring sensations in my lower abdominal and pelvis and also  some pains in my groin  and higher thighs or sensations there. Some times rarely I even think that i feel a somehow intense pain in my femoral  arteries. At the same time I had some problems with my erection.

However all these started when I started to exercise in kick boxing and over stressing my legs. Also because I was scared I reduced heavily smoking (to zero cigarettes for up to a week or 2-3 cigarettes per day) More important  when I am not smoking all these symptoms are vanishing after a few days, I mean vanish completely, and seems to return when I smoke again.

I made a triplex of my heart and a stress test before one year and a half and everything look normal. I check my symptoms in the internet and found that are related to an abdominal aorta aneurysm or a peripheral arterial disease  in the legs and I was very worried. However I exclude the second since i can run and exercise quite intensely without any annoyance in my legs.

Vangelis

Athens, Greece
Hi!
The nicotine in smoke can cause vaso spasm or contraction of blood vessels. The spasm is temporary and goes away after some time. Hence, when you give up smoking, the symptoms disappear. If you are having problems with erection, then please give up smoking completely as with time the blood vessels to penis may become damaged. Also, you may need dopplar studies to look into the blood vessels of pelvis and penis. The symptoms can also be due to aneurysm of the abdominal aorta (AAA). Usually AAA and heart conditions present with other symptoms (increased heart rate, sinking sensation, sweating, etc) apart from a pulse that can be felt on the outside.  This can be diagnosed and treated by a vascular specialist and an angiogram not ultrasound is done to detect it. Severe acidity, gas in stomach and muscle twitches too could be causing a pulsing. If heart and aortic causes are ruled out, then this should be looked into. Do consult your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Τhanks
Dr. Kokil Mathur