Anger Management Community
I bite and i'm not sure how to stop

Welcome to the Anger Management community. This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger management.

I bite and i'm not sure how to stop

Whenever I get really mad or really sad I usually bite. When I was younger I would hurt other people, saying something mean, pinching, pulling their hair, or punching them. I never got in trouble for it because I was good at making it look like it wasn't my fault and anything I couldn't brush off I didn't worry about since the people I hurt were usually too afraid of me to do anything. In the last four or five years however I decided that I didn't want to hurt other people anymore. Now when I get upset I bite myself. It's like there's so much building up in me that if I don't do something i'll lose it and hurt somebody else. I thought I had a pretty good handle on it since before I usually gave myself a bruise or whatever that would fade in a few days. Now however, it's gotten to the point where whenever I do it I break skin. I have two visible circular scars on either forearm, as well as on my knees and thighs, where my teeth pressed down. In some cases there are puncture marks from when I moved my head during the biting to get a better grip. I don't know what to do. I'm tired and my bones are ache and hurt from all the places I've hurt myself. I want to stop but whenever the urge hits I absolutely cannot control it, and even when I think I did calm down and get it under control, the next second i'll find myself biting again with no real memory of making a decision to do so.
What triggers the behavior do you do it randomly or when something upsets you ? it sounds as if you do it when under duress, so try when something upsets you, to distract your self, take yourself out of the situation that caused the need to injure your self, you may need some help with this to find out why you do it,maybe some therapy..Good luck
Hm.  Some people have an urge to soothe themselves or self calm through oral activities such as chewing, biting or s ucking.  Occupational therapy websites sell things specifically for this purpose.  They make these rubber p's and t's------- some smooth and some textured that are made for this purpose.  Could you substitute that so that you get the sensation but not do yourself harm?  (Therapyshoppe is one place to google and find these).  

Understanding what is behind is important.  Are you a long time sufferer of anxiety, for example?  Do you upset easily and have difficulty communicating feelings?  My son actually soothes orally and he has sensory issues.  Understanding what is at the root may help you know what to address to feel and cope better and finding a substitute will keep you from harming yourself.  
good luck
Oh, and I agree with Margypops that therapy is always a good thing to better understand why we do something and find help for it.  If you haven't already, I would consider this.  
Thanks you both very much. I'll try what you suggested and see if that helps.
my name is jodie and i bite my self for no reason... lets say my hair is static, i would get this feeling to hurt or break something but wen i do i get in trouble and bite myself. i have absolutely no feeling in my wrist because i do it all the time... And when i am at school and i feel like something is bothering me i chew on the side of my index finger and my friends are like wat are you doin? i would take my hand down and start laughing because i dont want people to think i am weird... this all started when i was little i would always hit and hurt people for no reason and i am known for hurting people and everyone is scared to even be around me. THAT  makes me even more upset and makes me hurt myself more and my parents think i do it for attention....