Anger Management Community
how?

Welcome to the Anger Management community. This patient support community is for discussions relating to anger management.

how?

Ok I'm 18 and I've had anger issues since I was a kid but I nvr rlly had a prob with controlling it till one day this kid threw a pecil at me it missed me and hit my best friend at the time who had a mental disabilty. No one had ever seen me accually mad b4 it took my teacher a while to convince me not to beat the hell out of the guys who did it and he told me he was scared of me ever since every seldom while I snap for no reason like the one day my bf told me he couldn't call right then and I snapped there's family tempers from all sides of my family and I talked to my doc about it he told me it was part of my depression and refuses to test me and saidi need a shrink but I wanna get tested to see if I have bipolar or something and my mom thinks its a good idea wat do I do if he won't test me for that or any other reasons I may get angry
Psychological testing is really hard.  You may feel one way the day you take it and be great the next.  Most of them are set up to ask questions about the past week to month, but everyone knows if your having a bad day, they all have been bad.  I'm not even sure if there is a bipolar test, except on the net which no matter whet you say you have it. (do not trust those)  You said your doc, what kind of doc?  If not a psychiatrist you were asking in the wrong place.  Get a referral for a psychiatrist as soon as you can, they are the ones that help with this stuff.  Let me know if you have questions about what I said or want more info on anything.  Good luck, you will be in my prayers.
I've never heard of a test per se, but i've been told that a Psychiatrist will take your history and figure it out if meds are your best option or not? I think it's always best to try to manage any condition without meds, as there are always risks or side effects associated. The fact that you stuck up for someone shows that you are a leader. It sounds like there's a disconnect in your being able to communicate your feelings on a subject, and that you may benefit by education, like leadership and assertiveness training, all of which will hold in good stead in your life to come. You've mentioned that there are anger issues on all sides of you, so you may not be able to find behavior to model that is helpful to you. Often times we model, instead, the negative behavior attributes. So, it takes a decision to acknowledge the negative behavior and access your knowledge of a better coping technique. I find that I need often to say "let me think about that for a few minutes, before I answer"  when your boyfriend angers you on any given topic. Take 10 minutes and think always about how to get your point across in an assertive manner, and do so. Often we're angry because we were not taught how to communicate effectively, and we have no confidence in our own abilities. Do you see what I'm saying? It takes work to stay off of medication, but just look in the addictions sites, and I almost guarantee you there will be people that are unhappy taking bi polar medication, or anything else.

Please talk to your mom, about taking the necessary measures to stay off meds as much as possible and deal with the root of this problem. Don't just line up for medication, because it's the easier softer way. You may learn with leadership and assertiveness training, that your educational goals become clear, you may want to become a therapist, to try to help those who are having issues "talk" out their problems and find natural ways, educational ways to conquer an issue. It's very rewarding to clearly see how your emotions are being tinkered with, and how to effectively deal with it, without meds. Trust me. When I grew up I had a host of problems, that could have been "handled" with meds, but thankfully I went to a therapist and found out how not to always be angry, and how to effectively control myself. Education should always be the first course of action. But in the fast food society we have become desensitized to believing that there's a pill for every thing. I'm just saying, think about slaying this dragon from within. God helps those who help themselves. I'm not saying don't go on meds, I'm saying give education a chance first. I was a very angry kid myself, and managed it. I do know that getting on a host of meds is not necessarily a feeling of being liberated, while coping tools always are. I'm here for you jess, if you need to talk. liz
BELLEWROSE, sorry my computer is so messed up these days, it's hard to scroll so i got the name wrong but the sentiments are right, so that's what matters, I AM here for you to talk to if you wish, okay? liz
There's alot of people older than you that are completely disillusioned with the medical profession over prescribing and not having the clients "learn" how to deal with all types of emotional problems. My son dealt with terrible social anxiety before and after taking antidepressant's. Antidepressant's that he though were safe. But in the end, gave him terrible jerking movements that he can't lose.etc. It's doable to deal with depression with CoQ10 and magnesium for instance. He found that this was natural, and now he no longer has anxiety attacks. If i were you I would suggest that you always look very closely at any side effects from any drug, and plan on having them effect you in the worst possible degree. And always, look for a means to dealing with your anger, through management. Why not see what an anger management course has to offer, before a pill? For instance.