Angina Community
Achy left arm

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Achy left arm

my left arm has been really achy today, i noticed i havent been feeling that great the past couple of days , and my dad died of a heart attack at 39 but was a heavy smoker...about a year ago i had a strees test done and everything was ok but i am about 100lbs over weght and this scares me ... should i see a doc?...ps and i have mitral valve prolapse.
If you haven't been feeling well for a couple of days now no matter what Charlotte you need to see a doctor especially w. your family history.  You are definately in a higher risk group if anyone had a heart attack under the age of 50 and you should seriously be getting a check up at least annually no matter what.  Mitral valve prolapse for most of us is pretty benign and millions of people have it and it usually doesn't rear its ugly head until later in life when we become senior citizens.  I would definately say call the doc tomorrow and tell them what is going on with you.  Because you had a stress test a year ago and you came out okay is no guarantee that you will pass this round as well.  Call the doc.....
thank you for the answer, thats what i kinda thought unforunately,,,I will call a doc tom. and see what i can do...it is so scarey to think about having a heart attack or anything of that sort i just dont wont to end up like my dad....thanks again cindy.
Just to set your mind at ease Charlotte....you aren't really describing any of the typical symtoms (symptoms) of a female experiencing a heart attack.  There are specifics that we look for and other than feeling unwell for a couple of days now thats about it.  Only men actually get the pain down their left arm and this has to do with when they were fetus inside of their mothers wombs.  When a male child begins to grow during the first and second trimester what happens is that their hearts actually begin on the left side of their neck and as they grow the heart drops down into position and that is the typical reason why men have that pain in their left arms ...for women it is totally different..one of the things to be aware of is shortness of breath, flu like symtoms (symptoms), pain in the upper or lower back, nausea, dizziness, pain in the face, pressure in the chest area.......these are a couple of the most telling  tales....women generally don't get the pain on the left side, we do not break into a sweat as men do, our pallor does not really change, we don;t typically get the jaw pain either...i think you are pretty safe but you need to call the doc no matter what...time for a check up if nothing else Charlotte...we only go around once in this life.....
Thanks so much cindy, i do feel some better about it now..lol...but i will surely get checked out...im calling a doc. first thing tomorrow..i want to lose all this weight and take better care of myself from now on things like this are eye openers for me....just within the past 3 to 4 years have i gained all this weight from stress as i am a stress eater unfortunately, ive struggled my whole life with my weight but im getting to the point now to where i am tired of messing around and wanna get it off and this time keep it off...lol...have a great night cindy and take care...
and oh yes i did wanna ask you, are you a nurse or in the medical field?.. because u seem to know alot about this.
Besides being a forum member just like everyone else...yes...i do have a medical background that is fairly extensive however with one another we are just that...a support community...i've had my share of heart issues as well so now i am paying it forward....all community members input have the exact same value as mine...it all comes from a personal perspective Charlotte that is why it is so important for others to comment people to people on this site...we are all in this together to be there during the tough times for others and to find a sense of peace and a little guidance where it is warranted.....