Angina Community
Angioplasty

WELCOME TO THE ANGINA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to: Causes, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Research, Risk Factors and Treatment of Angina.

Angioplasty

My father (60) was having back pain, then we have ECG which was different. We recommended to admit him on emergency by cardiologist and ultimately gone through Angiography after 1 day. Found that there is 70% blockage in left main. Doctor suggested to have Angioplasty after 4 days. On 4th day they did again the Angiography when taken for the Angioplasty and told us due to medicines blockage is now reduced from 70 to 10% and no need to have Angioplasty just needed to follow the diet strictly.
After 1 day observation we took my dad home (19 Feb 2013)

I don't understand is it possible? It it risky?
Should we ask them to have Angioplasty?

Thanks,
Rashmi
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It is possible with medications to improve the blood flow. During angina the coronary arteries may go into spasm which can further comprise a narrowed artery. The medications for angina are vasodilators, which relieve the spasm and hence may improve the blood flow. If the latest angiography does not show significant blockage, it can be managed medically.  But follow up with your doctor at regular intervals. Controlling diabetes and hypertension and following good lifestyle measures, like avoiding alcohol, smoking can help control calcification. Regular exercise and avoiding fatty foods can help to increase the flow through the calcified arteries.  Please discuss this with your doctor, he will schedule an appropriate exercise regimen

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks a lot,
We have a similar discussion with our doctor and as you said he had suggested the exercise. Now my dad is following his diet, exercise and recovered fast.

Once again thanks a lot for your reply :)

-Rashmi