Dr. wants me to go to ER!! 7.5 second pause - I'm scared & alone!
On approx June 20, 2013 I began wearing the 30 Day Event Recorder and on June 29, 2013 the monitoring company contacted my cardiologist to let him know that I experienced a 7.5 second pause. My cardiologist called and requested that I  go to Emergency Room stat. I told him I was not prepared to that. My pacemaker surgery is now scheduled for Mon. July 8, 2013.  He then requested that if I experience another episode to go straight to the Emergency Room, which I will have another episode because I do every single day. I suppose I have a decision to make...hmmm. Background: I'm a 47 year old female, (45 years old when dx with need for pacemaker) 125lbs, 5'6 and a 30 year - 3/4 pack cigarette smoker. I've been in denial about needing a pacemaker - I'm scared, been to the hospital one too many times. I started experiencing dizziness and fainting about two & half years ago and  I've seriously injured myself multiple times. I've had the full heart workup and all my tests came back normal except the Holter Monitor which showed a 3.5 second pause. I also have Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia, which began March 5, 2004 and I've been on multiple medications (anti-seizure, anti-depressant, & opiate meds ) for nine + years.
What are your thoughts about me getting a pacemaker and the need for one? I appreciate your comments and thank you very much
Pdcali38
Having a pacemaker inserted is a pretty simple and safe procedure.  Pacers have a variety of functions, and it sounds like you need one to keep your heart beating regularly.  
You probably know that smoking complicates everything about your heart and its functions, not all cardiologists will do a procedure on someone who is still smoking.